2019 ESTC ALL SEATS SOLD OUT!
PRE-REGISTER FOR THE
2020 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Branch's Crystal Battery

Really nice! I will give it a try.
    Cheers!

Sharing a new project I've started. Trying to convert a solar LED table lamp I purchased on Ebay to run off of some small crystal cells.

Here is a link to the lamp: Solar LED Table Lamp

It run off of a AAA battery by default, and has a small solar panel on top to charge that. It senses when it gets dark and will turn on at dusk.

I can fit three of the little cells I made inside of the base, out of sight. I can run wires up through the middle to the circuit at the top.

I used 3/4" copper caps. Magnesium rods from HERE. Alum from HERE.

You can see from the photos below that it will run off of two of these small cells in series, however it's not as bright as when it's running off of the included AAA battery.

lamp1.jpg
    lamp2.jpg
    lamp3.jpg

I'm trying to determine the best way to go about maximizing the potential of this lamp. I could take out the exising circuit and run each of the 3 crystal cells to their own LED on a Bedini Earth Light Circuit. Or I could hook them all in series (or parallel) and run them into an oscillator circuit and tune it (although I'm not too sure on the specs with that).

Really want to nail down a solid way to make this look nice while maintaining solid functionality. It's great that it's already a lamp type design, which means the wife doesn't have to look at a random copper bowl sitting out with wiring and an LED sticking out of it somewhere haha.

Was also thinking I can mount a POT right on the base of the lamp for tuning, and drill holes in the sides for venting and easy access to add water to the cells.

Any suggestions on circuitry or wiring ideas? Thanks for reading.

There are a lot of new low power applications in today's devices that would be perfect for a nearly permanent battery. Smoke alarms and such have 10 year batteries now, and a lot of remotes, like for tv, car locks, and now commercial lighting would be a perfect application. Clocks too.