Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New kit

Hi everyone,

I have always felt the rotored machines have the most potential for great charging, and I wanted to post a rough pic of the prototype kit we are working on. this is the first one off the cnc to check for fit and make modifications for better operation and more features. it will fit a 12 inch to a 26 inch bike wheel with a 3/8 axle, and up to 3 coils with a 26 inch bike wheel. if you notice there is room at the axle to mount genny coils, pulleys, hall or optos, and room on the back to make inductance loops for the multiple boards, or mount the boards on the back face. Erik John K and I would like your input as to what else you might like to see on the kit. this is a slow process to make sure we get it as right as possible! pricing looks like it will be in the 550 range with one coil. this will include the bike wheel and axles. the first set of bike axles from the machine shop have bit of wobble to them, so working on a fix for that.

Tom C
    Click image for larger version

Name:	kit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	51072

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Looks stellar man!

Comment

Nice! Will the final product be plexi or wood?

One thing that would be nice would be an optional larger back piece that would allow the addition of coils around the entire circumference. That way it would be easy to build a 10 coiler from the kit, if the builder was so inclined. And since we're throwing ideas around, a nice cnc'd rotor for increased mass would be cool. Optional aluminum or plexi for cost range flexibility.

We're all aware of the shortcomings of the r-charge 10 coiler kit, and that was a real letdown compared to what it should have been. It would be great to have a kit that could allow the builder to easily produce a range of units from the single spool multifilar basic ssg, to the 6 coiler, or even the 10 coiler! This kit appears to have the capability of providing that kind of flexibility along with the ability to grow with the experimenter's knowledge and desire to advance to larger, more complex machines.

-Woody
      "It's not a mutiny if the commander is leading it!" - Wally Schirra, Commander Apollo 7

Comment

Hi Tom . Nice work. I think Woody covered my thoughts in his post. I do have a question / suggestion. Is the front riser strong enough in the plane that the axel runs? A stabilizer plate on the right and the left connecting the front and back riser could strengthen the front considerably (if it needs it) and also hold a gen coil on either side. It may be fine. Im not there so i cant wiggle it and see. It just looks pretty thin.
        Thanks for the work developing a proper made energizer.

al

Comment

woody- the kit is going to be in apple plywood. cost for the frame doubles in plexi ( you cannot lazercut it makes the frame no precise) and there are other things that make it more difficult, including an increse in cost for assembly. JB's first SG was wood, and all his machines are made to show there are no hidden wires and batteries attached anywhere. plexi rotors can be made for it right now, it requires a bit more heavy duty bearings though and a larger axle. perhaps a carrier for them can be bolted on....... expandability is something we are thinking about.

so far the front is nice and stable, the back plane is sturdy enough for any added loads. I am going to thicken and shrink the front triangle a bit

Tom C

Comment

I missed this post somehow.

Tom that thing looks really good! I wish I had known this was in the works. I have just finished getting a bunch of stuff to build a new machine, i would have waited and got one of yours.

Do you think you may sell just the framing as an option? I am thinking that I could retro fit my stuff onto one of your frames once you get your final production model. ---Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BobZilla View Post
              I missed this post somehow.

Tom that thing looks really good! I wish I had known this was in the works. I have just finished getting a bunch of stuff to build a new machine, i would have waited and got one of yours.

Do you think you may sell just the framing as an option? I am thinking that I could retro fit my stuff onto one of your frames once you get your final production model. ---Bob
              yes just the frame will be an option. we will see how it goes. I have been running it mode 1 and it des a great job, standard SG charging. I will tell you I have been using my teslagenx small comparator with great results. I am going to start doing cba cycles as soon as I get al the batteries I have documented for true capacity. I want to show charging curves for all modes. and see what we can come up with.

Thanks for the vote of confidence mike, hope teslagenx can live up to it..... charge curves posted soon.

Tom C

Comment

Working...
              X