Stainless Steel Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless Steel Battery

Hello All, I would like to construct a stainless steel screen plate battery using the alum mix(es) for a large amphour output in the 24 to 30 volt dc range. The screen is 100 mesh/holes per square inch, very close together, and I have 16 ft. by 4 ft. left over from my Faraday cage build. The cage used 84 ft. and is 7 ft. by 7 ft. by 7 ft. Anyway, I believe the screen can be used to make batteries and I was hoping the members would join in to further along the build. I am on a very fixed income, so I cannot be using up any resources for "try this" ideas. I will be using a Buckhorn sturdy plastic container similar to the photo.Click image for larger version

Name:	FPN182_npl753.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	51036 I also will use the screen in 12 inch by 8 inch sections for the plates. The inner diameter of the container is about 12 inches high by 12 inches wide by 18 inches long. I figured 8 inch high plates to allow for other factors such as possible expansion due to unseen results and/or gassification and/or etcetera. So, if the members will allow their pooled knowledge to help with this project, I will post the video(s) of the entire build on this forum. To start, how many plates will I need to produce 24 to 30 vdc?
    I listen to Alex Jones and I fight against the New World Order. Are you a flouride head? Великий Белый Волшебник

Okay, I figure if the plates would hold a charge of 1.2 volts dc, like John Bedini does with his other batteries, then this would be the range for this design. I then multiply 1.2 by X to get between 24 to 30 volts dc. 26 plates totals 31.2 volts, 25 plates totals 30 volts,......20 plates totals 24 volts. So the deciding factor is, how to determine if this is a true statement. What is the factor in an equation that results in the plate voltage? Length times width? the thickness of the plate? The amount of surface area to hold the chemicals? With 100 mesh/holes per square inch, there should be alot of potential. I am waiting on some knowledeable advice from one of the more advanced members who can and will guide me to the finish line of this seemingly long journey.
    I listen to Alex Jones and I fight against the New World Order. Are you a flouride head? Великий Белый Волшебник

Comment

you may want to try just 2 plates and see what kind of voltage you get. I never had a lot of success with SS.
      Just my experience
      Good Luck

Comment

Please share your experience with your work. Thanks why me.

Comment

1- its not plate count that determines voltage it is cell number. plate count per cell determines capacity.
          2- in an alum battery the elecrolyte still impinges on the lead, the chemistry is still in the lead components not the alum. dont confuse alum and crystal batteries they are different. as said above try it with a small cell prototype first. I dont think you will see the results you are looking for with stainless.
          3- alum batteries have a different impedance and crystal batteries have huge impedance so crystal batts are not good for hi voltages.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Okay, so if 24 plates equals 1.2 volts but with a high capacity, then I would need a lot more individual containers to add up to 24 to 30 volts dc. So, 25 containers would be 30 volts dc. Okay, I know this is all hypothesis, so with 25 "cells" or containers I could get the required voltage. Now, the capacity of each cell/container, if the container can hold, say 20 to 25 plates, then how would the current be multiplied? by 20 to 25 or the distance between plates? Will the mix be one of the factors to determine this answer?

Comment

Why_me, what do you know about lead acid batteries? I suggest before you go spending a ton of cash you don't have, begin researching them, fully understanding them, and then you will answer most if not all of your questions. understand why alum works as an electrolyte first. you are going at this the wrong way. all of your questions will be answered if you study lead acid batteries, I am not going to spoon feed you........ do some homework first my friend. Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Hi why_me,

Tom C said it correct, the chemistry or rather the Electrochemistry of the meterial Stainlees steel is significant.. Stainless steel is Highly Electropositive relative to Lead and can be used with any meterial below it in the Electrochemical series of metals .. I guess with lead (Pb) Stainless Steel does match as good material electrode, but their is a catch... you may loose the electrolyte by way of Electrolysis during Charging /Discharging ...may be confining the released Gasese will serve you as Fuel cell to such a set up.
                Rgds,
                Faraday88.
                Last edited by Faraday88; 07-16-2013, 11:31 PM.
                'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Working...
                X