This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Georgey Nico View Post
    Thanks for sharing John!.. I'm finding hard to find alum in Sydney as well.
    If i have any luck I'll let you know.

Cheers
    George N.
    Hi George,

Try the following.

Haines Educational - providers of science and maths curriculum products and laboratory supplies

Comment

• Thanks' Ocallanan

I have rung around some of the places that were referred to by the wed site!.. I'm in the wrong business,one wonted $92 another $68 another $48 and $40 for 5oog, i think I'm might grow my own!, just need a small amount to start.

George N.

Comment

• Georgey, that's a ridiculous price. I only paid $7 for the 100g deodorant stick in the supermarket. But I spoke to John and we think there might be something else in it so might not be good for these experiments. John is going to buy one and have it analysed.

I'm going to call some companies tomorrow (thanks ocallanan) for the link. There is one that sells alum in 25kg. If I can get it I'm happy to share the cost with anyone in Australia that wants some.

I'm going to do what John suggested on the phone and post the charge and discharge curves when I'm done. It's nothing he hasn't already shared with us so I'm not holding any secrets.

I will also do a video blog of growing the alum crystal from the seed so others can do it too.

John K.

Comment

• John, that would be fantastic if you can share, I'm interested!.. I'm not sure why they were quoting so much, AR grade is what they were quoting me for.

George N.

Comment

• Ok John...here is the curve you requested. I ran 400mA down to 1V on my alum battery (with the CBA III). Two things I don't understand:

1. In my curve where I used my DC fan, why did it die? Your 5AH battery just keeps sustaining the load..mine kinda pooped out.

2. I'm not sure about balancing the mix. Do you think I need to buy a PH meter? I feel like my fan should ran much longer at a flat voltage like your battery does. I just don't know if I need to add more S04 or make a stronger alum mix.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alum Discharge 10_4_12.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	44868

Comment

• John B,

I added 1.5mL acid to each cell, shook it up and charged my 3Ah battery with 1A for 3 hours. Here's the charge curve, it still wants to sit at 17v.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Lead Alum Battery Charge 1.5mL Acid.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	44869
              I did use the pH meter I have, which is designed for pot plants but the pH did not come down much, only just under 7. For ****s and giggles I used the pH meter on a regular wet lead-acid and the pH was 5, so I'm not sure if when you said a pH of between 3.8 - 4 I heard that right as that would seem to be more acidic than a regular lead-acid battery.

Like Branch, I'm not sure if I need to balance it more by adding more alum or acid. I'm thinking a stronger alum mix would be better.

Anyhow, I'm running a discharge curve at 400mA. Will upload the chart in the morning. Thanks again for your help.

John K.

P.S. I'll get some LEDs tomorrow and make up an LED panel.
              Last edited by John_Koorn; 10-04-2012, 07:17 AM. Reason: Adding stuff

Comment

• John K,

I didnt upload this vid at the time because it was cut short....I should know better than to try and build alum batteries while trying to keep a 15 month old entertained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_V_...e_gdata_player

But this shows how strong my alum mix was....it doesnt look as strong as yours. But then that could also be because I used crystals....didnt grind them down, but boiled them in water in a pan until they completely dissolved.

Regardless, this may give us some basis for comparison.

One other thing I did differently that I know John mentioned in one of his videos....was to charge up the lead acid first before converting...so that it would have that "potential". I know you started dry, so not sure what impact that has...

Curious...what ph meter are you using? I want to buy one...

Branch

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Hupp View Post
                  Here John and I are Showing the Alum battery on a monopole and the fast charge rate and impedience change. The alum batteries charged to a point within 3 minutes that the capacitive dump halted and charged the batteries up to a little over 15v in a fast time. John and I explain this in the video. Thanks for watching.

Chuck Hupp

I've been trying to do the samething circuit wise with my version of crystal cells too. It looks like you use Zener diodes is that correct? Have you tried using P.U.T's? Sorry if this is a little off topic but what happen to Schottkey(4 layer) diodes? The schottkey diodes would be perfect for a sawtooth wave cap dump. Thanks!
                  Last edited by ibpointless2; 10-04-2012, 08:58 AM. Reason: Adding Quote

Comment

• I would like to share my findings so far in a long run test.

Concerning your video Mr Bedini, thank you. I think my video is corroborating in favor for what you said in your video. The cell does have a nice curve unlike Lead Acid batteries. The cells are very sensitive to movement and temperature and the cell does create lots of crystals inside.

I think indeed those cells are locking the water in and at the same time filtering the harmful components of the Sulfuric acid (SO4) which is the main cause of sulfation and therefore, destruction of a lead acid battery.

So this crystal cell with Alum has an amazing ability of doing many things at once including protecting the electrodes of the battery so that it can continue providing power for a long time.

If we improve the electrolyte to the point that it will be 100% locking the water and separating the harmful chemical one can indeed have a not only lasting battery but a potential discharge time of undetermined time.

One thing I notice in my cells is that when I am using only the gray plates (no red plates), one becomes more dark but not red while the other plate becomes gray. When I opened a dead gel battery I could not reuse none of the red plates since they were already totally sulfated and spongy like structure making them almost impossible to clean and reuse.

So I would conclude that this cell indeed does not allow the plates to become sulfated and therefore destroyed.

Fausto.
                    Last edited by John_Bedini; 10-04-2012, 02:02 PM. Reason: center video with picture

Comment

• @ Ib, Ib, I will answer this only once since it is off topic for this thread then all questions need addressed in the monopole section... yes they are Zeners at 4.7 each. This was the best combination for the set up at the time for tuning the machine for a specific battery load combination...

Chuck Hupp

Comment

• Originally posted by Branch Gordon View Post
                        John K,

I didnt upload this vid at the time because it was cut short....I should know better than to try and build alum batteries while trying to keep a 15 month old entertained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_V_...e_gdata_player

But this shows how strong my alum mix was....it doesnt look as strong as yours. But then that could also be because I used crystals....didnt grind them down, but boiled them in water in a pan until they completely dissolved.

Regardless, this may give us some basis for comparison.

One other thing I did differently that I know John mentioned in one of his videos....was to charge up the lead acid first before converting...so that it would have that "potential". I know you started dry, so not sure what impact that has...

Curious...what ph meter are you using? I want to buy one...

Branch
                        Branch, not sure how you would charge up the battery before converting it without any electrolyte. I don't recall that in John's videos. I know he mentioned to do that if you already had acid in the battery.

The pH meter I got from a garden store ages ago. It's just like one of these but mine is analog, not powered. Digital Soil PH Meter Probe - Garden Express
                        Not sure if its the best for our purpose but its what I had on hand.

I'll upload my discharge curve when I get to work, can't do it on an iPad on the train

John K.

Comment

• Yes, that's what I'm saying is that I already had acid in my battery.

Are you sure there's not an app for that...

Branch

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                          Branch, not sure how you would charge up the battery before converting it without any electrolyte. I don't recall that in John's videos. I know he mentioned to do that if you already had acid in the battery.

The pH meter I got from a garden store ages ago. It's just like one of these but mine is analog, not powered. Digital Soil PH Meter Probe - Garden Express
                          Not sure if its the best for our purpose but its what I had on hand.

I'll upload my discharge curve when I get to work, can't do it on an iPad on the train

John K.

Comment

• @ fausto, not asking that you disclose your mix but are you using silica gel of some type in you new lead cells?

Chuck Hupp

Comment

• Hey Chuck,

I used a tiny little bit of Silica liquid with the Alum and distilled water.

Fausto.

Comment

• Fausto,
                                That is some good work. Right the idea is to lock the Sulfuric Acid up so it can not harm the plates. That takes place when the chemical is in balance.

@All, in a phone conversation with Lidmotor he said I should explain a little more about this battery. So, The Alum battery is not a lead acid battery, so if you watched the curves I kept saying it runs much lower in level, it's not a 12 volt battery it it's more like a 1.5 volt battery with extended range to power things. do the math 1.5 X 6 =9 Volts and a C20 discharge is going to be .045 Ma. C10 then would be .090Ma so 1 amp is really pushing it but, that is a good test to see if it's just not a water battery. If you go back and look at my early posts I have said it acts more like a Ni-cad battery. So when you see it standing at 9 volts you must adjust the math to conform to the battery voltage level. Alum has the power to do some much different things with the lead acid battery and different metals. The old time lead batteries had two colors to them. Charcoal Gray and Gray. The new mixes in the lead batteries have changed all this, but, the lead calcium battery has those colors. So, as Lidmotor pointed out in the conversation most do not have it figured out yet. Circuits working on this battery must be much lower in voltage. Led's work anywhere between 2.5 to 3.8 volts Transmitter chips, digital chips, 555 timer chips, oscillators diodes and transistors and fets will all work. computers work at 2.5 to 5 volts calculators clocks amplifiers and so on. Why is everything going to low voltage, noise that is why. So if your real careful at what you do you can see what happens when you mix Alum Solution with a little Sulfuric Acid. It will form a crystal if the correct amount is added. So you can see how it locks it up. Think about that. Now if you take the Alum in solution form and mix Sodium Silicate with it what happens? Now add some Hydrate 5 or 9 and Sulfuric Acid what do you have? You can make all this in liquid form. What did I say it was making ?. "And do not go to the auto parts to find the chemicals", except the Sulfuric Acid. Most defiantly you do not have a lead Sulfuric Battery after that.
                                I will point out again I'm only building this battery for lighting and running oscillators to run lights, so this will light my house at night and charge during the day, I have already wired it, fans work, brushless fans will not trigger after 5 volts so dc motors must be used and you can get them. Everything must be calculated out to work with these cells. The nice part is you can not sulphate this battery it will come right back again and again. The formula has been working here for two years and documented.
                                Last edited by John_Bedini; 10-04-2012, 07:54 PM. Reason: adding info and a correction
                                John Bedini
                                My homepage: http://johnbedini.net

Comment

Working...
                                X