SSG Where the rubber hits the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSG Where the rubber hits the road

I am starting a new Vanilla SSG bike wheel build using a 22-n-5/8" diameter bike wheel as JB via Aaron and Peter's beginner and intermediate E-manuals recommend.

I will be using all parts and methods recommended in these two manuals. I have purchased the relevant parts from Energex.

I am using Peter's Video how to build an energizer for most of the wheel build, however, they no longer sell the frame so I'll use my own (Bolts')

Here is the first of many video logs I will post along the way sharing my trials and tribulations on my journey:

KIND comments, questions and advice from fellow builders, philosophers and and those in the know are very welcomed.

Kind Regards,
    min2oly - CoolJoule - Patrick A

Here is the wheel

Kind Regards,
    Patrick A.

Comment

love it pat cool, cooljoule

Comment

Originally posted by guyzzemf View Post
        love it pat cool, cooljoule
        Thanks Guy,
        After getting all the other builds to and over unity, this should be a walk in the park. Gotta have a solid wheel though eh...

Comment

Originally posted by min2oly View Post
          I am starting a new Vanilla SSG bike wheel build using a 22-n-5/8" diameter bike wheel as JB via Aaron and Peter's beginner and intermediate E-manuals recommend.

I will be using all parts and methods recommended in these two manuals. I have purchased the relevant parts from Energex.

I am using Peter's Video how to build an energizer for most of the wheel build, however, they no longer sell the frame so I'll use my own (Bolts')

Here is the first of many video logs I will post along the way sharing my trials and tribulations on my journey:

KIND comments, questions and advice from fellow builders, philosophers and and those in the know are very welcomed.

Kind Regards,
          min2oly - CoolJoule - Patrick A

that would be teslagenx Patrick...... thanks for the order!!
          Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

That's how oblivious I am to what shows up on my credit card - Oops!
            John B., someone needs to get on your marketing campaign to create a solid BRAND. I've been around here for a while and still get it all confused.

TESLAGENX - TESLAGENX - TESLAGENX

Ok, that should do it for me.

Tom, thanks for helping me back on the wheel.
            Kind Regards,
            Patrick A.

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
            that would be teslagenx Patrick...... thanks for the order!!
            Tom C

Comment

Hi Patrick. Just want to say thanks. I have enjoyed your videos for a long time now. What I enjoy most is you teach me something with each one. There is always something useful in your videos. Your builds range from beautiful to just good enough to explore the topic or effect and that is encouraging to me since my construction skills can be very limited at times. Thanks for sharing this build with us.

al

Comment

Hi Allen,
                Thanks for the compliment. I know there are many gifted builders around here and I always marvel at their accomplishments. I hope I have learned what are the most important parts of the build by now. I know it's not the plexiglass, but man that stuff looks good on video Eh...
                Kind Regards,
                Patrick

Originally posted by Allen R. View Post
                Hi Patrick. Just want to say thanks. I have enjoyed your videos for a long time now. What I enjoy most is you teach me something with each one. There is always something useful in your videos. Your builds range from beautiful to just good enough to explore the topic or effect and that is encouraging to me since my construction skills can be very limited at times. Thanks for sharing this build with us.

al

Comment

More better sense...

Ok, we’re moving along at the speed of a NW banana slug not too slow not too fast :-)
                  Do you want the coil to attract or repel the magnet as it passes…

Comment

Patrick
                    you read my mind as i was going to ask you to show in detail why south out as we have allways done and coil test on attraction or repel
                    I allways just set a lose magnet on coil top it ether jumps off [repel] or sucks tight [attract] from that i know how to put magnets on
                    wheel @ what coil [run] wire goes to positive and what wire goes to collector before output diode
                    guy

ps comment on balancing wheel ,free spin time ,coil gap
                    Last edited by guyzzemf; 05-08-2014, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks Guy,
                      you just reminded me where I learned this trick in the first place. You had a vid up maybe 5-6 years ago showing where the invisable south is, that gave me the idea of using this as a basic method to wire up correctly.
                      Now I will also say in addition

I M H O

it does not matter if you wind your coil clockwise counter clockwise etc... and it does not matter if you have magnets south out or north out as long as they are all the same. If you use this simple electromagnet method, you can determine if you want attraction or repulsion. I have conducted experiments where I pick a random magnet or 2 or 3 on the wheel and flip them. this has some very interesting effects on charging as well...
                      More later - Kind Regards,
                      Patrick

Patrick
                      you read my mind as i was going to ask you to show in detail why south out as we have allways done and coil test on attraction or repel
                      I allways just set a lose magnet on coil top it ether jumps off [repel] or sucks tight [attract] from that i know how to put magnets on
                      wheel @ what coil [run] wire goes to positive and what wire goes to collector before output diode
                      guy

ps comment on balancing wheel ,free spin time ,coil gap

Comment

Thought I might get it running on some Aluminium...

Just for kicks while I'm waiting for a couple of parts...
                        Kind Regards,
                        Patrick A.

Comment

The aluminium/axle saga continues...

Patrick A.

Comment

what ticking at 3;31 sounds like 1 magnet is back-ack wards
                            guy

ok sounds better 10;09

i have never used a pot
                            Last edited by guyzzemf; 05-11-2014, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Someone reminded me in a reply on one of the vids - I forgot to use a bulb in series for tuning, that might have saved the pot. It's been a while since I used a big wheel - forgot how powerful it is. No worries, that was a cheepo pot. I'm saving the big 50w 75ohm for the

TESLAGENX

build. Just purchased the base resistors yesterday will be soldering the board some time today. I still don't have the wheel situation straightened out... This was always my biggest issue when I built the first wheel, it never ran smooth always noisy and wabley etc... I'm almost there, maybe I should just build my own wheel, my 6' wheel purr's right along. I think it's too big for this little coil though.

what ticking at 3;31 sounds like 1 magnet is back-ack wards
                              guy

ok sounds better 10;09

i have never used a pot

Comment

Working...
                              X