Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forelle,
    Your Hf7 magnets are rated at

Grade Symbol Character. Rem flux dens Coercive force. Max magnetic energy density
    Br HcB HcJ (BH)max
    mT KA/m. KA/m KJ/m3
    HF 7/21 S1-01-1 Isotropic min 190 125 210 6.5

By comparison

Ceramic8A 390±10 231±8 235±8 28.7±0.8
    Ceramic8B 410±10 231±8 235±8 32.6±0.8

It appears your magnets are not strong enough, about half that needed for c8 equivalent.
    Double stack may be an option but I defer to John K, Tom C or John Bedini and their wealth of experience and knowledge as it does not fit John Bedini's specs.
    Hope that assists
    James

Sorry I did format the table but it resets when posted
    Here is the link
    http://radialmagnet.com/magnetstandards.html
    Last edited by James Milner; 11-27-2012, 01:58 AM. Reason: Apology for table formatting

Comment

I think the magnet strength is fine as long as it is triggering the coil. I would love for John B to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only purpose of the rotor is to space the pulses apart and to demonstrate some amount of mechanical work being performed while the batteries are being charged.

Comment

Unless you want to perform mechanical work with the rotor of course. That's another kettle of fish altogether ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by James Milner View Post
          Forelle,
          Your Hf7 magnets are rated at

Grade Symbol Character. Rem flux dens Coercive force. Max magnetic energy density
          Br HcB HcJ (BH)max
          mT KA/m. KA/m KJ/m3
          HF 7/21 S1-01-1 Isotropic min 190 125 210 6.5

By comparison

Ceramic8A 390±10 231±8 235±8 28.7±0.8
          Ceramic8B 410±10 231±8 235±8 32.6±0.8

It appears your magnets are not strong enough, about half that needed for c8 equivalent.
          Double stack may be an option but I defer to John K, Tom C or John Bedini and their wealth of experience and knowledge as it does not fit John Bedini's specs.
          Hope that assists
          James

Sorry I did format the table but it resets when posted
          Here is the link
          We're your source for Magnets, Ceramic, Neodymium, Alnico, and Sumarian Cobalt Magnets direct from the factory. Any size, shape, or quantity. We create special shapes at no extra cost.
          Hi,
          they are rated with:Rem.Br.370mt
          HcB 245ka/m
          HcJ 255ka/m
          Bhmax 25kj/m3

Comment

Originally posted by sephiroth View Post
            Unless you want to perform mechanical work with the rotor of course. That's another kettle of fish altogether ^_^
            I only get confused because of the measurements with the ironrod or screwdriver.
            The best would be when i beginn with 10mm apart and work down.Actually i have it 9.5mm apart it draws 0.5amp from primary with 1170rpm and it charges with 0.3amp and 482v.
            Thanks

Comment

Forelle,
              These are not that far off C8's
              Are you saying they have this rating before double stacking?
              If you are you may be overdoing it!
              I suggest you wait till a John B, John, K or Tom C replies. Some of your values are C7's and others C9's. I'm not sure what the critical values are and J.B. may be the only one able to nail down what the critical factors are. That is, remnant flux density or your coercive force values.
              It's beyond my understanding!
              James

Comment

I dont spend a lot of time measuring such critical factors, C8 is all I am looking for, the size of the magnet itself at C8 determines its magnetic value. I have never delved that deep into them as I can easily get the ones specc'ed for the SG. that is why we give the size, the type and its rating. a C5 ceramic will also work, but you have to run the wheel closer. The biggest problems with an SG and its magnets is they can be TOO strong or TOO weak. Add in factors like coil geometry and core material and you get lots of variables.

Some folks do not have access to the exact magnets. So if your machine is built to spec, but you have magnets that are too strong, your coil will stay on to long and heat up, or you will be using a very hi amount of current to run your machine. A single bifilar SG will pull 70 to 125 milliamps when charging a small 3 to 7AH battery in 8 to 16 hrs.

Do those numbers you can see how that makes sense, you will have a little bit left over.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Ceramic C8 3.50 Ceramic C5 3.40 the max energy is so close as to be negligable.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
                    I dont spend a lot of time measuring such critical factors, C8 is all I am looking for, the size of the magnet itself at C8 determines its magnetic value. I have never delved that deep into them as I can easily get the ones specc'ed for the SG. that is why we give the size, the type and its rating. a C5 ceramic will also work, but you have to run the wheel closer. The biggest problems with an SG and its magnets is they can be TOO strong or TOO weak. Add in factors like coil geometry and core material and you get lots of variables.

Some folks do not have access to the exact magnets. So if your machine is built to spec, but you have magnets that are too strong, your coil will stay on to long and heat up, or you will be using a very hi amount of current to run your machine. A single bifilar SG will pull 70 to 125 milliamps when charging a small 3 to 7AH battery in 8 to 16 hrs.

Do those numbers you can see how that makes sense, you will have a little bit left over.

Tom C
                    Hi Tom C
                    I think so far i dont have a problem with overheating and i have these numbers with a single bifilar coil.I was only wondering why my magnets suck a paperclip in about 50mm.
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by James Milner View Post
                      Forelle,
                      These are not that far off C8's
                      Are you saying they have this rating before double stacking?
                      If you are you may be overdoing it!
                      I suggest you wait till a John B, John, K or Tom C replies. Some of your values are C7's and others C9's. I'm not sure what the critical values are and J.B. may be the only one able to nail down what the critical factors are. That is, remnant flux density or your coercive force values.
                      It's beyond my understanding!
                      James
                      Hi James
                      i think these values for the magnetmaterial(m3) because i have 110millitesla with one magnet and 136mT with two.
                      Thanks for thinking about.

Comment

Originally posted by forelle View Post
                        Hi everybody,
                        there are so many different scopeshots around and i want to ask whats the difference between this narrow spikes from me and the wide.(Thread from yesterday:Is your SSG running correctly? Are you sure!)What is the real H-Wave?
                        My profession is plumber and im not very familiar with elektronics.
                        I know normally only one question pro thread,but i try a second one.There is a way to measure the gap between coil and magnet with a screwdriver but my english is not so good and i dont understand how this was meant.Maybe somebody can explain it onesmore.
                        I've atached some pictures.
                        Thanks
                        Hi forelle

can you please give some specs on your coil !

wire size?
                        wire length?
                        base resistance?
                        trigger resistance?
                        coil size?
                        coil core size?

I like the way you litz your wires !

Thanks

Theunis
                        Hey !
                        WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE PORTION OF SOLAR ENERGY THAT WAS ALLOCATED TO YOU TODAY? !
                        JUST THINK ABOUT IT . . .

Comment

I only get confused because of the measurements with the ironrod or screwdriver.
                          The best would be when i beginn with 10mm apart and work down.Actually i have it 9.5mm apart it draws 0.5amp from primary with 1170rpm and it charges with 0.3amp and 482v.
                          Thanks
                          forelle

At what voltage is your primary input?

If I where you, I will stick with these setting, you are using only 0.0625 amps/transistor, (again to much radiant and you could loose the batteries, you maybe need more amps but who knows how much ? ? ?)

Stick a battery on the back-end (secondary) and look at your charging curve. I for one want to know what you are getting, please !

450 volt spike is what JB was getting on the 10 coiler at ±10 amps iaw 0.25 amps per transistor.

Theunis
                          Last edited by Prinsloo; 11-28-2012, 09:41 AM.
                          Hey !
                          WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE PORTION OF SOLAR ENERGY THAT WAS ALLOCATED TO YOU TODAY? !

Comment

Originally posted by Prinsloo View Post
                            forelle

At what voltage is your primary input?

If I where you, I will stick with these setting, you are using only 0.0625 amps/transistor, (again to much radiant and you could loose the batteries, you maybe need more amps but who knows how much ? ? ?)

Stick a battery on the back-end (secondary) and look at your charging curve. I for one want to know what you are getting, please !

450 volt spike is what JB was getting on the 10 coiler at ±10 amps iaw 0.25 amps per transistor.

Theunis
                            Hi,
                            i did just beginn with charging and i've made a mistake with my analogmeter.Primary is 13.7 volt(because my powersupply has only this voltage) and it draws 1 Amp with 9.5mm spacing the magnets and charges with 0.6Amp.Everything is cold.The problem is that i've only a 90AH deepcycle Battery.The battery is new its the first time charging.
                            I begann Fryday at 3 pm with 11v and today i've at 8pm 15.1v
                            The wirelenght is 53 meter,1mm,8 wires,lenght is 89mm and diameter is 95mm.
                            Do you know how to measure the Impedance of an entire system?Maybe i should open a new thread.And do you know how exactly the transistors should match?Base-Coll 0.5555v and the next is 0.5538v,is that to far?And what is better,more volt or less?(0.55 or 0.65)
                            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Prinsloo View Post
                              Hi forelle

can you please give some specs on your coil !

wire size?
                              wire length?
                              base resistance?
                              trigger resistance?
                              coil size?
                              coil core size?

I like the way you litz your wires !

Thanks

Theunis
                              Hi,i forgot baseresistors are 220 Ohm pot 86 Ohm,coilresistance 2.25 Ohm and 5watt 12v lamp.core 18mm.

Comment

Hi,
                                i did just beginn with charging and i've made a mistake with my analogmeter.Primary is 13.7 volt(because my powersupply has only this voltage) and it draws 1 Amp with 9.5mm spacing the magnets and charges with 0.6Amp.Everything is cold.The problem is that i've only a 90AH deepcycle Battery.The battery is new its the first time charging.
                                I begann Fryday at 3 pm with 11v and today i've at 8pm 15.1v
                                The wirelenght is 53 meter,1mm,8 wires,lenght is 89mm and diameter is 95mm.
                                Do you know how to measure the Impedance of an entire system?Maybe i should open a new thread.And do you know how exactly the transistors should match?Base-Coll 0.5555v and the next is 0.5538v,is that to far?And what is better,more volt or less?(0.55 or 0.65)
                                Thanks
                                Hi forelle, thanks for the information.

You need to look up the charging specs for that battery and not exceed them,

I have no idea "base voltages" and how to balance system resistance/impedance's on primary and secondary side of the system, (this questions been haunting me for some time,) Maybe TomC or some one else can help here,

Thanks

Theunis
                                Last edited by Prinsloo; 11-29-2012, 08:09 AM.
                                Hey !

Comment

Working...
                                X