Pulsing a coil with a cap pulser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi John,

I was looking through an old battery charger, I was wondering if you could tell me if this is one of John's comparitors?
    I suppose I would be dreaming if anyone had any details on it?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180509_153041919.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1,020.5 KB
ID:	49833Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180509_153103935.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1,016.7 KB
ID:	49834
    Cant spend it when your dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuis View Post
      Hi John,

I was looking through an old battery charger, I was wondering if you could tell me if this is one of John's comparitors?
      I suppose I would be dreaming if anyone had any details on it?
      Ah, the RC-20A. I re-wrote the software for that. Is your's still working? Looks like you had issues with the LCD at least... If by chance you don't want it anymore I'll make an offer on it

As for the "charge module" in it I'm not sure if it's a comparitor or not. I certainly don't have any details on it. It does appear to be a "cap pulser" though.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
        Ah, the RC-20A. I re-wrote the software for that. Is your's still working? Looks like you had issues with the LCD at least... If by chance you don't want it anymore I'll make an offer on it

As for the "charge module" in it I'm not sure if it's a comparitor or not. I certainly don't have any details on it. It does appear to be a "cap pulser" though.
        JK,
        My guess...its the Small comaprator version by Rick friedrich..or his version what ever..
        Teslagenx does not have the small comparator in their list of product nay more..

Rgds,
        Faraday88.
        'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Hi Faraday, bad guess. RF had nothing to do with that charger (thank goodness).

John K.

Comment

Here's a better schematic...

John K.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi John,

With your 81 strand coil, how many strands are used as the primary (pulsed by the Large Comparator) and how many are used as the secondary to collect the radiant spikes?

Comment

Hi Gary,

The load coil is 81 strands of #23 (0.5mm), 64 strands are being used for the "power" winding and 16 strands are used as the "output" winding.

1 strand is not connected (it was previously used as a trigger winding on another experiment)

John K.

Comment

Hi Gary,

The load coil is 81 strands of #23 (0.5mm), 64 strands are being used for the "power" winding and 16 strands are used as the "output" winding.

1 strand is not connected (it was previously used as a trigger winding on another experiment)

John K.
                  Hi JK,
                  Is the coil specifically designed for this experiment and why 81 strand in that ratio? 64 Primary and 16 secondary (and 1 'not in use')kind of Coupling ratio.. Faraday's equation would have said it be Turns ratio for a conventional transformer for Voltage.. Wow! This is Teslian coupling ratio for Current amplification right?? look i answered my own question !!!
                  how about a Capacitor alone in place of the Comparator unit..since not all have access to it now??
                  ofcourse it still needs to be 'rung twice'
                  Rgds,
                  Faraday88.
                  Last edited by Faraday88; 05-10-2018, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Faraday, no the coil was not specifically designed for this experiment. It's the same coil I was using on my SS SG.

Don't over-think this, it's not that difficult. You can pulse the coil any way you like. I already explained how it works. Now there's even a proper schematic. Anyone who's been around for a while should be able to build something in about 20 minutes to prove the concept.

John K.

Comment

Faraday, no the coil was not specifically designed for this experiment. It's the same coil I was using on my SS SG.

Don't over-think this, it's not that difficult. You can pulse the coil any way you like. I already explained how it works. Now there's even a proper schematic. Anyone who's been around for a while should be able to build something in about 20 minutes to prove the concept.

John K.
                      JK,
                      Thanks for that little help! however, your schematic earlier shows the primary coil in series with the charge battery while the secondary is 'kind of parallel' via the conversion in FWBR.
                      Since i do not have the Large Comparator... I would in essence have the Capacitor Discharge through a SCR or a MOSFET,(Transistors will not survive for sure) the SCR would Self commutate due to Series Resonance action but with this startegy you cannot make the 'bell ring twice' so Dual MOSFET is the best bet. BTW this is true even with Battery based primary switching..a cousin of the SSG.
                      just my way of tinkering...
                      thank s again... lets experiment..
                      Rgds,
                      Faraday88.
                      Last edited by Faraday88; 05-10-2018, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
                        JK,
                        Thanks for that little help! however, your schematic earlier shows the primary coil in series with the charge battery while the secondary is 'kind of parallel' via the conversion in FWBR.
                        Since i do not have the Large Comparator... I would in essence have the Capacitor Discharge through a SCR or a MOSFET,(Transistors will not survive for sure) the SCR would Self commutate due to Series Resonance action but with this startegy you cannot make the 'bell ring twice' so Dual MOSFET is the best bet. BTW this is true even with Battery based primary switching..a cousin of the SSG.
                        just my way of tinkering...
                        thank s again... lets experiment..
                        Rgds,
                        Faraday88.
                        Faraday, you don't have to do it exactly the way I am. Think about it - in it's simplest form it's a 3 battery switch that pulses a coil and then captures the spike into the third battery.

You could do the switching easily with 1 transistor and a 555 timer. Would cost about 50 cents in parts to do that.

John K.

Comment

Faraday, you don't have to do it exactly the way I am. Think about it - in it's simplest form it's a 3 battery switch that pulses a coil and then captures the spike into the third battery.

You could do the switching easily with 1 transistor and a 555 timer. Would cost about 50 cents in parts to do that.

John K.
                          Hi JK,
                          If it is BJT (Bipolar Junction transistor) MJE15024 should be ok...hmmmm..
                          one transistor and Ringing it twice...ok !
                          Rgds,
                          Faraday88.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard
                            I appreciate your knowledgeable comments here, John.

Would you be so kind as to make a quickie schematic of such circuit including battery voltage and amp hours and also coil number of turns, wire gauge and type of core, air or iron, nothing exact, just off the top of your head approximate numbers?
                            A 12 volt 100 amp hour battery would be a good example but I can scale up or down from whatever you choose.
                            555 timer circuits are plentiful so if you can just "black box" diagram that part and show the frequency.

Thanks.
                            Hi Richard,

Here's a simple schematic. I'm not going to list component details, that's up to you guys to experiment with. The batteries you're planning on using will determine the size of the coil, the transistor, etc., etc.

Simple 3 Batt Switch.pdf

This is about as easy as I can make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
                              Hi JK,
                              If it is BJT (Bipolar Junction transistor) MJE15024 should be ok...hmmmm..
                              one transistor and Ringing it twice...ok !
                              Rgds,
                              Faraday88.
                              Faraday,

I have absolutely no idea what "ring the bell twice" means. If you want to paraphrase that quote to suit this set up, knock yourself out. I'd rather use "really efficient battery charger".

John K.

Comment

Faraday,

I have absolutely no idea what "ring the bell twice" means. If you want to paraphrase that quote to suit this set up, knock yourself out. I'd rather use "really efficient battery charger".

John K.
                                JK,

'Tesla Impulse Technology'...thats all I too meant.. It was my contension to try the experiment to acheive the same thing without the access to the Large Comparator! in my opinion the Comparator is already doing the TIT part, with the circuit you showed, it does another level of amplification of the gain in the connected battery.
                                Best Regards,
                                Faraday88.

Comment

Working...
                                X