This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question:
    Is anyone else, when mixing the chems, smell ammonia?
    its only slight, and now has seem to have fadded, a couple days later.
    Im hoping to have plates ready to assemble by weekend, either way i'll post my results.

Thanks John and Chuck for your generousity!

Comment

• A question for making the semiconductor copper. Can the oxide layer be achieved through electrolysis? So bascically, is there another a way to make the semiconductive copper other than heating it.
      Last edited by jiant; 01-13-2013, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Contact Us - Science Essentials
        Has Ammonium aluminum sulfate lab grade
        $35. 500grams
        Brisbane.Australia.
        Regards,

G.G.

Comment

• doryauto says, very interesting concept.

Comment

• Originally posted by jiant View Post
            A question for making the semiconductor copper. Can the oxide layer be achieved through electrolysis? So bascically, is there another a way to make the semiconductive copper other than heating it.
            No. Why do people always want to change things before they get a working device? Then they wonder why the inventor disappears

What is wrong with heating it? It works!

John K.

Comment

• Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
              No. Why do people always want to change things before they get a working device? Then they wonder why the inventor disappears

What is wrong with heating it? It works!

John K.
              its because I cant find a good way of heating it

Comment

• Originally posted by jiant View Post
                its because I cant find a good way of heating it
                John Bedini demonstrated heating a copper bowl on an electric stove element. You could also place it in an oven.

From memory it only has to get to 300F.

John K.

Comment

• I have had good luck using a MAPP gas torch. It's the yellow bottle. You can get copper red hot with it. The copper I have treated did best when heated up very hot. I basically did what Mr. Bedini shows but I do the borax dip twice.

I am not trying to contradict what John K has said about 300F, only saying what worked good for me. It may work just as well at lower temps but the MAPP gas can get you as hot as you want.

Comment

• I heard online about quenching the hot copper in a borax solution. Does that affect anything? When I normally quench the copper, a bit of the black oxide falls of. Will none of it fall off if I quench the copper in a borax solution?

Comment

• The black layer comes off, it is supposed too. Have you see the video of Mr. Bedini making one?

Bedini Copper, Alum and Magnesium Battery - YouTube

I used copper pipe end caps for the fist set I made and cut up a fire starter block for the magnesium. They work very well. I put five of them in series and built a led light for them to power. It is not the same as Mr. Bedini's because I didn't use an oscillator but rather more cells to get the voltage.

Later I made some larger ones using a 1/2 inch magnesium rod and copper wire wrapped around with a separator between. That formed a core that I put into a PCV pipe for housing it in the Alum. Those cells work a bit stronger but I am not nearly as happy with those as the smaller end cap's. I think I need more copper in the second model and plan to test that out with an improved version.

Comment

• Thks, Ive been looking for that video for ages. Also, is the reason for the blackened copper producing more electricity with a magnesium electrode than with normal copper because of the electronegativity scale? Ive read that oxygen and magnesium have an enormous electronegativity difference - way more than magnesium and zinc. So, is the copper blackened only for the purpose of oxidizing it and producing a greater electronegativety difference?

Comment

• Im searching for the magnesium rod and I found that home hardware sells magnesium water heater anodes. Are these anodes pure enough? Plus, how are these crystal batteries different from a lemon battery or a standard AA dry cell?
                          Last edited by jiant; 01-26-2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Those are good questions about what exactly the method does but I am not qualified to give you a correct answer. My understanding is that the treatment of the copper prevents corrosion of the magnesium. I have not had my cells long enough to say for sure but from all appearances that would be a true statement.

I approached this by simply trying it to see how it works and I am happy with it. The thing to realize is that these cells are not power houses. They seem to be best geared towards small loads like LED's. I did run a bunch in series and got a small 12v PC fan to spin but not very fast. I imagine with enough in a parallel and series to form enough capacity and voltage would drive larger loads but it doesn't seem practical. I started fooling with the other cells that can be charged, Lead/Lead with Alum and Lead/Zinc(I have a thread about those). I wanted more current than the copper/Mag cells provide.

Yes those water heater anodes would work but they are fairly expensive. I would suggest that you get a fire striker and try making some small cells first so that you do not have to spend as much. You can find them in the camping section of most department stores or your local army surplus.

You can also order a variety of metals at the following site. I purchased Lead, Zinc, and Magnesium from them and they have a fast service.
                            LINK:
                            Welcome to RotoMetals, Inc - Non Ferrous Metals and Custom Alloys Call Toll Free 1-800-779-1102

Good luck, and have fun..

Comment

• Thanks. I thought that the treatment of the copper is suppose to raise its electronegativity. Thus, it will have a greater electronegative difference with magnesium. Im not totally sure. Also, on youtube, people who treated the copper said that they got much higher volatge. If the treatment of the copper was made so that the magnesium doesn't corrode, why did the voltage increase then?

Comment

• As I said I am not in a position to tell you with confidence so I will leave it to others who may be more qualified.

I wouldn't be so certain that the voltage was raised from the copper treatment although it could have been. You could be completely right, I'm not saying that it doesn't, only that I couldn't say.

There are other factors involved like the electrolyte, the mass of materials used, possible contaminants like tap water that could have high mineral content. The experimenter you mentioned could have used steel, copper, or aluminum wires/screws to extend the electrodes, really to many variables to list. Heck he may have used two different meters and the assumption is wrong. I don't know because I never tried it without treating the copper.

My point here is really that if you want to find answers you can trust than you need to conduct some experiments. Then you can share your results with the rest of us and that is how we advance collectively. It is great to look through others work but it always needs to be duplicated and verified.

Comment

Working...
                                X