This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing Of Alum Battery

In this video I’m going over the Alum battery we have built here with multiple plates after it formed at 30Ma all night long. I’m running a curve so you can see what to expect. The chemical formula worked out fine for this application.

John Bedini
    Last edited by John_Bedini; 09-12-2012, 06:34 PM. Reason: correction
    John Bedini
    My homepage: http://johnbedini.net

Comment

Originally posted by John_Bedini View Post
      @All/John Hav,
      If you get a big one you will do back flips. Everybody is just goofing around with small devices. but if you start to get into the 24 Amp Hr range things will change. The reason for the food grade Alum is simple anything else and you will start to eat the active material on the plates. Epsom Salts is just good one time.Sodium Sulphate will soften the material on the plates and it soon will fall off. Using detergent and tap water will cause the plates to not take a charge as all the active material is dissolved away, the minerals and the chlorine in tap water is very damaging to the plates. The battery works two ways with Sulphuric Acid as a normal Lead Acid Battery or with Food Grade Alum or Ammonium Aluminum Sulfate.
      Want to ask if there a way to restore a battery where the active material was washed away with tap water?

Comment

NON--flooded cell Lead-Alum battery

@John B.

That video was great!. That new "little black box" cell that you and Chuck made is amazing. The power density is what got me. That thing holds alot of juice and can serve it up by the bucket full. I have been trying to figure out which of the chemicals that we have been working with before that you added to the mix. Is it the one that you don't want to breath?

I made another video but it is mainly about a new circuit I'm trying more than about this Lead - Alum battery. I posted it at the other forum rather than here.

Lidmotor

Comment

Originally posted by John_Bedini View Post
          @All/John Hav,
          If you get a big one you will do back flips. Everybody is just goofing around with small devices. but if you start to get into the 24 Amp Hr range things will change. The reason for the food grade Alum is simple anything else and you will start to eat the active material on the plates. Epsom Salts is just good one time.Sodium Sulphate will soften the material on the plates and it soon will fall off. Using detergent and tap water will cause the plates to not take a charge as all the active material is dissolved away, the minerals and the chlorine in tap water is very damaging to the plates. The battery works two ways with Sulphuric Acid as a normal Lead Acid Battery or with Food Grade Alum or Ammonium Aluminum Sulfate.

The salt (Ammonium Aluminum Sulfate) is a very good Ionic compound and works very well for ionic transfer, just a little research will point that out. Again I will point out the two different impedances that take place. The impedance is high under charging so current is less. Under load the impedance is very much lower so current is available, My charts do not lie in the video as I have done this many times. Taking a dry Battery off the shelf is the test, and I did that on video and I'm going to do it again. You can lead people to the water but you can not make them drink. In all my years with batteries this one along with the copper magnesium Cell perform the best for current with shifting impedance. Most are unsuccessful because they use junk batteries, junk batteries do not perform, the old saying Junk in Junk out.
          John,
          You've just saved me some significant dollars I was going to put towards new unused wet cell comparison testing of aluminium sulphate, Sodium Sulphate and Magnesium sulphate. I ran a Sodium sulphate battery in my car for 6 months and it finally failed. Now I know why without having to cut open the battery!
          Regarding aluminium sulphate I was able to narrow down the chemistry somewhat but wrote off the large complexes but it appears that I shouldn't. They would certainly tie up a lot of ionic charge! The question is what are you using to cause the alum to form large structures in the cup? I think I'll go hunting some online thesis in aluminium sulphate chemistry!
          Thanks John, very much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Lidmotor View Post
            @John B.

That video was great!. That new "little black box" cell that you and Chuck made is amazing. The power density is what got me. That thing holds alot of juice and can serve it up by the bucket full. I have been trying to figure out which of the chemicals that we have been working with before that you added to the mix. Is it the one that you don't want to breath?

I made another video but it is mainly about a new circuit I'm trying more than about this Lead - Alum battery. I posted it at the other forum rather than here.

Lidmotor

@ Lidmotor and all:
            Yes it is safe to breath in the "wet state", but you don't want it on you in the "wet state". No it is not safe to breath in the "dry dusty state".

Chuck Hupp for John Bedini

Comment

James,
              What needs to be done is to figure why the battery failed, how old was the battery? Chuck and I are working out what is taking place.
              John Bedini

Comment

Discharge Curve Alum Battery

Here is a quick vid I did to see the discharge curve of the alum battery.

Les

Comment

Crystal Lead Battery Made From Junk Gel Cell Curves and Tesla Switch

In this video I show a two plate lead Alum cell made from a junk Gel Cell using a Gelled Alum mixture developed at Energenx.
                  Then I show when the curve dropped to small level output of about .9 volts a rapid charging with a miniature
                  Tesla Switch developed for low light appellations of less than 2 Amps. Panel voltage is .95 amps.
                  @LesK,
                  Are you charging Lead Acid batteries? Good setup.

John Bedini

Comment

The fly is alive in the new hybrid Alum/Lead battery!

Ok Lidmotor and all:
                    This video shows the new Hybrid Alum/Lead battery running the lamp after being charged with the solar panels on the lamp. The panels are in series and
                    sums the solar cells voltage to just over 18 volts. The batteries standing voltage is 1.8 volts.So as you can see the battery is fine with that potential from the solar cells. In testing the battery it was found that it does not heat up like a traditional Lead/Acid battery. There was a question from a member about how safe the battery is at the energyscienceforum.com. Well, we had a small fly land in the battery while it was charging outside in the sun. After the battery was brought inside for testing the fly climed out and got on top of the battery. After 2 hours the fly was fine. I don't think the fly would have lasted that long with the Sulfuric Acid. So the new hybrid Alum/Lead battery is safe for flys at least

This battery only charged for 3hrs and will run all night on the lamp which has four (4) 10mm Super bright LEDs and 2 oscillators. This battery only has 2 plates and really fast charges as John Bedini has shown in other videos. It can be charged many ways as well.These technologies will be for sale very soon to the public for those that are not hobbiest. Thanks for watching.

Chuck Hupp

Comment

• Restoring plates

Originally posted by Wei View Post
                      Want to ask if there a way to restore a battery where the active material was washed away with tap water?
                      Wei, if thats what really happend then the battery needs taken apart and the plates reformed.

Chuck Hupp

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Hupp View Post
                        Wei, if thats what really happend then the battery needs taken apart and the plates reformed.

Chuck Hupp
                        What would the reform process be, I am interested to do that.

Comment

• Cell chemistry and the plates

@John and Chuck

Your cells are getting better and better. Thanks Chuck for showing the little bug surviving in the electrolyte, I was never worried about the "toxic" nature of it though----just the pH level. I wanted to know if the mixture was acidic or alkaline. Even air is slightly acidic and as long as the electrolye didn't shift too far we were going to be OK.
                          John--if we are going to build batteries from scratch I'm wondering if we should be hunting down pre-made battery grid plates that have the oxide paste in them. I am at the limit of my test cell charge capacity unless I start punching holes in my plates and filling them with red lead. As I recall those gel cells that you are now making are using pieces out of old batteries. Unfortunately I don't have any old batteries that I can tear apart.

Lidmotor

Comment

• NEWS FLASH!! Ben (K4zep) has done a great replicatiom---with computer graphing

@ John, Chuck, and All

Ben (k4zep on Youtube) has converted a full size Interstate marine battery and is doing computer graphed load testing on it. The procedure is very similar to what you are doing John. He is even using one of your chargers on it. So far the results validate what you have shown. The battery was on his boat and was damaged by discharging accidently until dead. He has revived it and is showing the results on Youtube.

The Bedini Pickle Battery - YouTube

Pickle Battery, Day 2, Second charge/discharge cycle. - YouTube

This is really good news for all of us working on this project. I have watched Ben's work for years and he tells it like it is. He doesn't pull any punches.

Lidmotor
                            Last edited by Lidmotor; 09-13-2012, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Lidmotor,
                              I was going to answer you on some things but I wanted to wait for the last test, well not the last test of many more as I do not want any mistakes. To me I've studied and performed electronics my whole life, it was sort of built in if you know what I mean. To answer your question, You do not have to buy anything except Alum from a spice house, as long as it is Ammonium Aluminum Sulfate. Junk batteries are everywhere from small to big Gel cells. You have seen how I made a paste of Alum and put it on the plates then soaked the separator in Alum water. This is really simple to do.

The electronics is another story. The best to use is Gel Cells for the plates as the chemical is dried out. Chuck and I were talking today about making cases by vacuum forming as that can be done by heating plastic to make any case size. The bigger the plates the more power your going to developed, we are going to do this and video it, you will have to excuse me as I must do everything with one hand. Again after doing any of this Wash your hands, as you and I are at 11:00 on the clock of life, we all go on the stroke of midnight at the time perscribed.

Gel Cells, cut apart are real easy and the plates just pop out and can be cut off easy without damage. Plastic cases work the best in this application as you can glue a top on them and service them.One 1/4 inch hole for water to keep the plates saturated, that is important. Chuck and I will take a car battery apart but that is a dirty job and real messy. Again the Gel is the best and safe to work with. I have only just been working with small power curves, it's now time for the big power curves, which I'm going to do on video. The radiant oscillators or the JT what ever you prefer will light all the lights you want as I have seen in your videos. I'm doing these curves so you know what to expect, but they will get far better. Time to Retire for me as I have worked the better part of my life in this field, not much I have not seen, and I have worked with the best of them.

I have already got all kinds of PM's if the Tesla switch is for sale, but the big question is will they follow the current ratings so I will not have to protect it for current. Making these videos takes time, all day long and work in-between, but if it helps people survive, I'm for it. The Solar Switches and the Tesla Chargers are not easy to make cheap, Labor is the killer. I have one girl that is the best I ever had and she can crack things out. I'm waiting for my wife to come and help us just with the paper work, soon I hope.

Lid , do not be afraid to do this, you might really like doing it. I can walk you through this cell on the videos. These are my experiments to find out what is going to work the best, that's why it public on youtube. If just one person remembers how to get energy in the end I'm happy. You were right it's going to take off. You and I have talked on the phone about the chemicals and what they do. If only Marcus Reids battery could do real current instead of 2 Ma we would have something.
                              JB
                              John Bedini

Comment

• [QUOTE=John_Bedini;1550]In this video I show a two plate lead Alum cell made from a junk Gel Cell using a Gelled Alum mixture developed at Energenx.
                                Then I show when the curve dropped to small level output of about .9 volts a rapid charging with a miniature
                                Tesla Switch developed for low light appellations of less than 2 Amps. Panel voltage is .95 amps.
                                @LesK,
                                Are you charging Lead Acid batteries? Good setup.

@John Bedini,
                                Yes the two are acid.....for now
                                the software I am using BITSCOPE CHART RECORDER . It does a lot. But on this old machine it has a few bugs. I had a great graph showing the impedance change but lost it when the probe fell off the battery.
                                I do have it saved in a csv file I don't think I can upload a csv file though. Anyway here is the first video I did just before I started.

John, thanks for being here.
                                Les

Comment

Working...
                                X