SSG Monopole with Capacitor Discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSG Monopole with Capacitor Discharge

SSG Monopole with Capacitor Discharge, I know you call it a SG in the video....

JB,

Using a muilty strand SSG to fill up the Cap pulser had been talked about a long time back, but I was unsure at that time which way this version was arranged. So I wached this video several times, and cut and pasted up the basic single transistor SSG with pulser Schematic below, to make sure that is what you are talking about. Muilty Strands would all have their output diode Buss into the FWBR. Does not show any cap pulse trigger, for simplicity's sake........
    Post 8
    http://www.energyscienceforum.com/be....html#post2815

If this is correct, I will be testing a 16 Strand PCB Version soon........

RS
    Attached Files

Originally posted by RS_ View Post

JB,

Using a muilty strand SSG to fill up the Cap pulser had been talked about a long time back, but I was unsure at that time which way this version was arranged. So I wached this video several times, and cut and pasted up the basic single transistor SSG with pulser Schematic below, to make sure that is what you are talking about. Muilty Strands would all have their output diode Buss into the FWBR. Does not show any cap pulse trigger, for simplicity's sake........
    Post 8

RS
    RS, you have the SSG part of the circuit correct, except you have not labelled Q4 correctly. I have been testing the same circuit recently and have been getting the same results as JB posted in that video. The only difference between mine and JB's is I am using a super pole rotor and 10 filar coil with 9 transistors. I also don't have a fan installed yet as I'm using the original bike wheel bearings.

John K.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
      RS, you have the SSG part of the circuit correct, except you have not labelled Q4 correctly. I have been testing the same circuit recently and have been getting the same results as JB posted in that video. The only difference between mine and JB's is I am using a super pole rotor and 10 filar coil with 9 transistors. I also don't have a fan installed yet as I'm using the original bike wheel bearings.

John K.
      JK Thanks,

This version is a bit different from what the guys had talked about in the distant past, so it is good to finely get this version down.......

Oops that should be a MJL21194...... When I relabeled that tranny late last night, I got it wrong with the PNP version number....

Comment

Originally posted by RS_ View Post

JB,

Post 8

RS
        Hi,
        please can you tell me what type the mosfets are and on the optokoppler is only pin 4 and 5 connected,is that right?C1 has to have how many V and uf and has it to be electrolytic?
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by forelle View Post
          Hi,
          please can you tell me what type the mosfets are and on the optokoppler is only pin 4 and 5 connected,is that right?C1 has to have how many V and uf and has it to be electrolytic?
          Thanks
          I believe JB uses the IRFP260's I have been using IRF59N10D's because I had a bunch on hand......

Yes pin 4 and 5 are connected, and pin 6 is open......

For 12V charging battery's, a 35 to 50V Cap and needs to be electrolytic, value is determined by how much energy the input circuit can supply, so that the cap builds up in V till it is about 23V to 26V in about 1 sec, then is triggered by any of the various trigger circuits to pulse on just long enough to drop the Cap V down to, or close to the charging battery V.........

Comment

Cap-dump Help !

Hi guys

I know you/we are all saturated with food and drink (being X-mas and holiday season) but before shut-eye please tender your advice here.

I have built the circuit RS._ posted in post #1 in this thread as attached:

As soon as I connect the secondary battery the dump-cap charges by means of the secondary battery, shouldn't the mosfets prevent any voltage flow from the secondary battery to the rest of the circuit seeing they are not switched on yet?

Even if I remove the opto, iow the 2N3584 can’t switch on, the currant still goes to the dump-cap, without the SSG running or connected at all?

Is this normal?

Thanks for your feedback.

Theunis
            Attached Files
            Hey !
            WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE PORTION OF SOLAR ENERGY THAT WAS ALLOCATED TO YOU TODAY? !
            JUST THINK ABOUT IT . . .

Comment

Yes, this is normal when using MOSFET's, Most of them have a internal Suppression Diode that will allow current flow backward through the device until the cap is at the charging battery V, and you start filling up from there. Look up the Part number Data sheet to see this internal diode....... Where Transistors like the MJL21194 does not have that internal diode......

This is one reason that MOSFET's are NOT Good for use in place of a SG or SSG transistor, as that diode can waste some of the ringing that is being collected with a transistor with out that diode..........

Originally posted by Prinsloo View Post
              Hi guys

I know you/we are all saturated with food and drink (being X-mas and holiday season) but before shut-eye please tender your advice here.

I have built the circuit RS._ posted in post #1 in this thread as attached:

As soon as I connect the secondary battery the dump-cap charges by means of the secondary battery, shouldn't the mosfets prevent any voltage flow from the secondary battery to the rest of the circuit seeing they are not switched on yet?

Even if I remove the opto, iow the 2N3584 can’t switch on, the currant still goes to the dump-cap, without the SSG running or connected at all?

Is this normal?

Thanks for your feedback.

Theunis
              Last edited by RS_; 12-24-2012, 09:09 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

RS

Thanks, was a little concerned about this. I will continue to use it as it is then and ask for HELP if needed.

Thanks

Theunis
                Hey !
                WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE PORTION OF SOLAR ENERGY THAT WAS ALLOCATED TO YOU TODAY? !

Comment

Hi RS / Guys

I need to connect an LED to the opto (H11D3) driven from an op-amp to see when it is firing,

can I put the LED inline with the pin 2 of the opto (H11D3) and ground,

or can I put LED across pin 1 via a 330 ohm resistor and ground,

Which is preferable or otherwise how, please?

Thanks

Theunis
                  Hey !

Comment

Hi RS / Guys

I need to connect an LED to the opto (H11D3) driven from an op-amp to see when it is firing,

can I put the LED inline with the pin 2 of the opto (H11D3) and ground,

or can I put LED across pin 1 via a 330 ohm resistor and ground,

Which is preferable or otherwise how, please?

Thanks

Theunis
                    Hey Theunis,

It doesn't make any difference if you put the LED in series with pin 1 or pin 2 of the opto. I usually put it between pin 2 and ground with a resistor in between.

Start out with a 330 ohm resistor, if the LED is not bright enough or the opto doesn't seem to be switching fully drop the resistor down to a 220 or 100 ohm - assuming you are pushing 12v to the opto.

John K.

Comment

Just to clarify so you use 1 resistor for the opto and the LED?

Thanks JohnK

Will give it a go.

On the attached schematic, the resistor in question is 2.2K ohm, that is quite a leap from 300 ohm, any ideas?

Theunis
                      Attached Files
                      Hey !

Comment

Theunis,

this is JB's op amp Sch charging a 36V battery bank. and was running at a full 15V on the op amp.....

so with a 12V battery bank, the op amp is not going to run at a full 15V, Depending on what voltage the OP Amp is running at, start with a 680 ohm and go down from there, till you get a fully on pulse from the Cap pulser circuit with the largest value of resistor, this will make the op amp circuit pull the least amount of current that you can get away with to fire the cap pulser fully on....... Your LED can be in series with the OPTO LED and the resistor......

Thanks JohnK

Will give it a go.

On the attached schematic, the resistor in question is 2.2K ohm, that is quite a leap from 300 ohm, any ideas?

Theunis
                        Last edited by RS_; 12-27-2012, 08:35 AM.

Comment

@ RS

I have sent you a PM

Thanks

Theunis
                          Hey !

Comment

Question?

Is there any way to get these post with out coming to this web page to read them?

All I get is a Email that tells me that there has been a post made.

It would be nice to have the post being sent to me by email, is that posible?

Do you have the same thing in that you have to come on line to read them?

I hope you can help me in this.
                            Ron Hammar
                            Rlhammar@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Hammar View Post
                              Question?

Is there any way to get these post with out coming to this web page to read them?

All I get is a Email that tells me that there has been a post made.

It would be nice to have the post being sent to me by email, is that posible?

Do you have the same thing in that you have to come on line to read them?

I hope you can help me in this.
                              Ron Hammar
                              Rlhammar@gmail.com
                              I come online to read them all.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Working...
                              X