Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zinc as a Treatment for Depression

Hello,

I am a physician, though my speciality is in Preventive Medicine, not Psychiatry. Actually I spent ten years at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in an office dedicated to getting drugs for rare diseases to market and have worked for a number of years since as a consultant to the pharmaceutical industry, so one thing I am comfortable with is going through medical literature. A couple weeks ago I decided, why not investigate various alternative health approaches by going through the medical literature and posting video of what is found there, the medical literature is often much more supportive of alternative/micro-nutrient based health interventions than one might suspect from commercial advertisements.

The first topic I decided to take a look at was alternatives/complimentary additions to pharmaceutical anti-depressants. I chose this for two reasons, 1) unlike the rare diseases I spent much of my career on, depression is a serious and unfortunately common disease and 2) there are well-documented concerns in the medical literature over serious and potentially dangerous side effects of some pharmaceutical anti-depressants especially the SSRIs that have come to light. Within that broad topic I chose to focus on Zinc's role in depression for my first videos. Each video is about a half hour long and I have the first two of what will be likely a four part series posted now on my "To Your Health" video channel. While the first one may start a little slow as I have to explain what I am doing and why from there I just go through the medical literature study by study and explain why Zinc would be expected to be helpful in depression from the published evidence we now have available. If you would like to view these videos

Part I is available here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suwc5-obeBU

and the To Your Health Channel may be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9R...x-P3S5HMuCXJ4g

Parts 3 and 4 should be out within a week or so.

For those who don't have an hour to spend getting the in-depth discussion of the literature the as the kids on the web call if TLDR (Too Long Didn't Read) version is that 1) there is a large and growing body of evidence from the past twenty years that derangements of zinc homeostasis are involved in depression and other mental disorders and a variety of current theories for why this is so, 2) multiple population based studies have found that low blood zinc levels are associated with depression 3) pharmaceutical antidepressants, even in the absence of zinc supplementation lead to higher blood zinc levels when the pharmaceutical treatment is effective. 3) In multiple double blind placebo controlled clinical trials zinc supplements given in conjunction with pharmaceutical anti-depressants both helped overcome treatment resistance and augmented the antidepressant’s beneficial effect. 4) Not only are the findings statistically significant with zinc in depression but also the magnitude of zinc's effect is large, i.e it is not that it does something but is only 1/10th as strong as a conventional anti-depressant, it is showing a pronounced effect.

I am not saying zinc is now the end all be all, we have the cure for depression, I view depression as a bit akin to cancer in that there are multiple pathways that can lead to the same end disease state. That said, it is well documented now in the literature that zinc is helpful in depression. I suspect in some cases low zinc may be very important to central to depression.

This health channel is very new, brand new in fact, however hopefully in time it may be a vehicle to get information about a variety of important health issues out to the public. Hope you enjoy the videos and find the information useful. Let me know if you have any questions or there are any areas that need clarification.

As an aside, I have interacted and communicated with many of you here on energy related topics and would just say Enjoy the Conference and congratulations on all the incredible progress with the ZFM, it is more than I hoped for when I started the ZFM thread.

In closing,

Here's to your Health!

Paul D. Maher, MD

Originally posted by luis_jacob12
    Studies found that pairing a zinc supplement with antidepressant therapy can be a more effective method of treating patients with major depression.
    It's all quite complicated. I'd suggest a spoonful of pumpkin seeds in salads and as a snack.

Comment

According to a study, Zinc participation is essential for all physiological systems, including neural functioning, where it participates in a myriad of cellular processes. Converging clinical, molecular, and genetic discoveries illuminate key roles for zinc homeostasis in association with clinical depression and psychosis which are not yet well appreciated at the clinical interface.
      IV Therapist
      IV Hangover Cure
      IV Wellness Treatment
      For me, fitness is not just about hitting the gym; it is also about an inner happiness and an overall well-being

Comment

This is interesting because I've been taking zinc for the past 4 years with great results. It's definitely essential for men. I've noticed a lot more action in the morning if you get what I'm saying I'm pretty sure it gets the testosterone pumping, which is essential for men to feel good. The brand I take is dirt cheap too. 21st Century Zinc 50mg. It's currently under $2 on iHerb for 110 tablets. I don't recommend taking it every day, though. Let your body guide you.

Comment

Originally posted by PolymerPete View Post
          This is interesting because I've been taking zinc for the past 4 years with great results. It's definitely essential for men. I've noticed a lot more action in the morning if you get what I'm saying I'm pretty sure it gets the testosterone pumping, which is essential for men to feel good. The brand I take is dirt cheap too. 21st Century Zinc 50mg. It's currently under $2 on iHerb for 110 tablets. I don't recommend taking it every day, though. Let your body guide you.
          Yep, maybe that's part of why it treats depression, there is the old tale of oysters, high in zinc, and sex. If I find time I would like to look at all the micronutrients found in moderation to decrease overall mortality, of which zinc is one, right now I am working on other things. Also Livon labs liposoomal C q4 hours for a hangover, or, just don't drink so much.

Comment

Zinc as a Treatment for Depression

Any pushrod non-roller cam engine should have zinc in my opinion.. I would use an oil that already has zinc in it.. I personally like "Penngrade" oils... I use 10W30....

Comment

Originally posted by Kamalups View Post
              Any pushrod non-roller cam engine should have zinc in my opinion.. I would use an oil that already has zinc in it.. I personally like "Penngrade" oils... I use 10W30....
              On many American news networks, they talk about opioid epidemics and the hundreds of deaths due to overdose.

Many years ago, I've read about the effect of applying frequencies to the brain via the earlobes. The device is called CES (Cranial Electro-theraphy Stimulation. It is supposed to 'cure' a person of stress, depression, sleeplessness and addiction. I've never heard them talk about this; I understand that the powerful block of FDA, AMA and Big Pharma could be behind this.

During attacks of depression, I use it and it calms my nerves. It is akin to BWE 'brainwave entrainment' - sound/frequency healing.

Comment

Oh wow, this is indeed very interesting. Also from what I read, zinc can be found in the hippocampus which controls our mood and memory. So lack of zinc will result in depression, ADHD, learning difficulties etc.

Comment

Working...
                X