Oscilloscope advice and recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wrtner View Post
    There is a method based on determining the area under the spikes which represents the quantitiy
    of electricity.

1. It might be better to know exactly how discharged the battery was at the beginning
    by knowing the amps x volts x time to discharge the battery to get it to that state.

2. Run your equipment.

3. Thern determine how much less electricity (amps x volts x time) you need to put in
    to restore the battery to the start voltage.
    @wrtner. I'd be happy to estimate the amount of current from the area on the scope, but don't know how / where to derive a resistance figure. (Also a quick Google of Ohms Law tells me that in actual fact it isn't a law .. just an equation that works pretty well for some materials, but I'm prepared to overlook this for now).

I've been using the COP calculator provided as part of the group experiment (if you are familiar with this?) for over a year now, and have some 40+ test runs. The COP calculator is designed to do pretty much what you suggest above. The problem I have is that I generally get a COP of around 1 (give or take a few %). I have felt ongoing frustration with this, since the point of the group experiment / SSG is, as I understand it, to show that it is radiant energy, and not amps, that are charging the battery. If the COP is 1 though, then I fail to see how this is demonstrating the point??

However the other day I was reading a report by a guy called Alex in the Experimenters Files section of the Group Experiment where he points out that his analog ammeter measures the spike going into his charging battery, and interprets this as a constant rate of current, when in actual fact, for most of the time the current flow is a lot less than this (and is zero for about 75% of the time.) The last page of Alex's report shows a computer generated chart (which I think is derived from his scope somehow) showing voltage and current. I would love to know how he generated this chart. I tried emailing him through the Yahoo group, but do not know if he got the email, since the group is no longer extant.

Working on Alex's basis, that the current flow into the battery is much less than the analog ammeter reading most of the time, then this makes me happy, because for the first time in a year I get some concrete evidence that it is the volts not the amps, charging my battery.

However, assuming Alex is right, and unless I'm overlooking something obvious here, I'd like to point out that the COP calculator / group experiment is very misleading / downright wrong, since it calculates the COP based on a constant current input derived by the ammeter from the maximum voltage during the spike. I'm not sure if the group experiment is actually still running or not, but if it is, then maybe a slight change of methodology would be useful, in order to take this in to account?

It'd be good to hear other's thoughts about this?

Rob

Comment

Dear Rob,

These spikes are radiant energy, not regular energy. Meters are useless.
      (Even if there weren't, meters cannot handle spikes. They give false readings)

Do you have the Group's spreadsheet file which is to be filled in and the
      spreadsheet calculates the system COP and the battery COP?

Paul-R

(These is probably a thread discussing COP determination but there are
      so many SG threads that nothing can be found. Putting "COP" into
      this site's search engine finds nothing).

I will never complain about YahooGroups ever again.

Comment

Dear Rob,

Do you have the Group's spreadsheet file which is to be filled in and the
        spreadsheet calculates the system COP and the battery COP?

Paul-R
        Hi Paul. Yes this is the 'COP calculator' that I refer to .. Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Thanos View Post
          Would something like that be appropriate for the voltage that appears on these circuits?
          DSO Nano DSO201 Pocket-Sized Digital Oscilloscope Review - ToolBoom Online Store

I have one of these. It works pretty well. It doesn't always show the spikes though even though I know they are there. Also the x1 probe that comes with it won't show the peaks of the spikes. You would need to get the x10 probe and modify it to work with this scope.

Over all it's pretty cool though.

I will post a video soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_Esq View Post
            Hi Paul. Yes this is the 'COP calculator' that I refer to .. Rob
            Are you certain that the bifilar coil was wound precisely as directed, the cores
            are suitable, magnets as specified etc and that the batteries are good?

Comment

There are very well spoken of USB scopes which plug into your computer.
              Good value of rmoney. Widely sold on Ebay:
              DSO-2250 USB_Hatek Electronic co.,Ltd._http://www.hantek.com.cn
              Hi,
              I was thinking of buying this one: Hantek DSO1060 Handheld Oscilloscope plus Multimeter
              Being portable, is a plus for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_Esq View Post

The problem I have is that I generally get a COP of around 1 (give or take a few %).
                I have felt ongoing frustration with this
                Rob:
                It might be better to transger this discussion into this thread:
                http://www.energyscienceforum.com/be...lculation.html

where it may get seen by people up to speed on the COP subject.

Comment

Working...
                X