Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a Li-Fe-Po4 Battery be used for the SG Machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Li-Fe-Po4 Battery be used for the SG Machine?

Hi All --

Can a Li-Fe-Po4 battery be used for the running the SG Machine?
    This one web site claims you can use the same Lead Acid battery
    charger to charge them.

http://www.all-battery.com/LiFePO4_SLA.aspx

LiFeP04 (Lead-Acid Replacements)

Lithium Iron Phosphate Rechargeable Batteries - Lead Acid Replacement
    The new Tenergy batteries have a smaller footprint, are longer-lasting, and have a better operational range when compared to existing lead-acid solutions.
    The Tenergy batteries combine exceptional energy density, maximum safety and environmental friendliness. With multiple off-the-shelf capacities, Tenergy batteries are compelling replacement for Lead-Acid technology.
    • Spill Proof - use in any orientation
    • Works with Sealed Lead Acid chargers
    • Environmentally Friendly
    • Lasts up to 8x Longer than SLA Batteries

-- James

Originally posted by James McDonald View Post
    Hi All --
    Can a Li-Fe-Po4 battery be used for the running the SG Machine?
    Yes, on both sides of the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by aln View Post
      Yes, on both sides of the machine.
      John Bedini told us at the last conference that the new LiFePo4 batteries don't like being charged with pulses. That's one of the main reasons he developed the linear regulator circuits for all the chargers and the new one for the SSG.

These batteries will work fine on the front end, but need a steady rate charge to recharge them if I understood correctly!

Comment

Hi Gary --

Thanks, for the information. I was wondering if the high voltage spikes from the SG machine
        would damaged the LiFePo4 batteries. I guess the primary side use would be okay if you don't use
        the SG Machine in Generator mode. So the Linear Regulator add on to the SG Machine will allow the
        charging of LiFePo4 batteries due to its a steady state DC voltage.

-- James

Comment

I remembered Peter or Aaron say that they were ok in a video, I'll have to find it now. No argument with JB, I will retract my statement until it is verified. Aln

Comment

Lipo4 are an interesting animal. 1/3rd the weight of an SLA, not as toxic to the environment as a lithium ion, they have a fixed charge rate, supplying more current does not make them charge any faster, they just sit there..... they don't like pulse charging it turns them into a baby rattle (ask me how I know) they run at their rated current till they reach voltage cutoff, then they just STOP. like a lithium ion battery does in a laptop.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
              they don't like pulse charging it turns them into a baby rattle

Tom C
              Thanks for chiming in tom

Comment

Working...
              X