John K's Superpole Bike Wheel SSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks John,

I can't take all the credit for Liquid Nails, even though I've been banging on about it for years now. John Smith in WA put me onto it years ago. Best stuff ever!

A few more questions on your build... what did you find the best magnet spacing to be? And did you make the gap adjustable to see what gave the best results or what did you fix it at? Were those batteries off your solar installation? Can they be bought seperately & if so, how much did you pay?

Good Job.
    Barrie.

Comment

Hey Barrie,

I picked 18 pairs of magnets because they were easy to space on every second spoke of the wheel. I have some plans for this setup, such as adding another 18 magnets spaced in between the existing ones. I want to see what strengthening the scalar south in between the magnets will do. But first I need a baseline to work from.
      The magnet to coil gap was chosen based on a method suggested by John Bedini. I took a welding rod and measured the distance where the rod was really "sucked" into the magnet. This turned out to be about 2mm for these magnets.
      Those batteries I've had for years. They were picked up from the battery recycling pallet from my previous employer, who used them as backup batteries for security systems. They change them out every 3 years regardles of condition. I got about 20 of them but only 4 or 5 were not dried out - the remainder are targeted for a hybrid conversion.

John K.

Comment

John K, Correct me if am wrong, i found that on the superpole the closer better, since the magnet area is narrow and sharp, and its not overlapped, we just looking for the magnet to turn on off the tryani.. but on the normal pole, is wide thus we need to adjust the distance.. right?
        Alfin

Comment

Originally posted by alfinip2000 View Post
          John K, Correct me if am wrong, i found that on the superpole the closer better, since the magnet area is narrow and sharp, and its not overlapped, we just looking for the magnet to turn on off the tryani.. but on the normal pole, is wide thus we need to adjust the distance.. right?
          Alfin
          Hi Alfin, this is something that I am experimenting with.

John K.

Comment

Modified my setup to charge 4 hybrid batteries...

Hey All,

In this video I'm showing a modification of my Bedini Superpole Bike Wheel SSG Monopole Energizer charging 4 12v 7Ah hybrid lead acid batteries. These batteries were totally dried out and useless, they have had acid added and reverse charged.

We will see if the batteries come back from the dead

John K.
            Last edited by John_Koorn; 08-31-2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Hi John K, thanks for sharing have you though about rejuvenating a battery with alum ?,with my 27" wheel i seem to have faster charging with 2 pulse per magnet pass!.. it's not a super pole though you have inspired me to build a super pole wheel.

Cheers,
              George N.

Comment

Update

Hi All,

Here is an update:

John K.

Comment

John k,
                  I have watched your video and what I see is that some batteries are changing impedance the low ones must be going up on the charge curve The high ones I'm not sure about. I will wait to see.
                  John B
                  John Bedini
                  My homepage: http://johnbedini.net

Comment

John B,

Thanks. I am seeing that as the batteries are charging they are soaking up the acid still. When I see that the acid level is below the plates I am topping the cells up with a few drops of acid to cover the plates again.

John K.

Comment

This video is an update on the progress of charging 4 useless gel-cell batteries that have been rehydrated with battery acid. These are being charged separately by using separate branch currents from a modified Bedini SSG Monopole circuit.

John K.

Comment

36 Hour Update on Converting 4 gel-cell Batteries to Hybrids Using Brancj Currents

Hi All,

Here's an update after 36 hours of run time:

Battery Primary 1 2 3 4
                        Start 12.70 1.21 1.20 4.02 1.72
                        +12 Hours 12.40 13.29 12.40 11.49 11.90
                        +25 Hours 12.14 13.75 12.37 10.96 12.58
                        +36 Hours 11.87 13.98 12.56 11.14 11.61

Battery 1: Looks like this one is just continuing to charge.
                        Battery 2: After a bit of a drop at 25 hours, this one is now rising. This indicates that the impedance dropped and now the battery is taking the charge.
                        Battery 3: Same as Battery 2
                        Battery 4: Looks like it is following the same pattern as Batteries 2&3.

Some of the cells are still requiring to be topped up with acid and they soak it up. Strangely enough the cell will sit there for some time not needing any acid and then it's like the cell "un-dries" out and then needs a big drink.

The plan I think is to wait until one of the batteries reaches 14.5v and then load test it. I can then swap it out with the next battery that needs "Hybrid hospital" treatment

John K.

Comment

John K,
                          you might get lucky and fix all those batteries, but some may look good and not have anything it just depends on what kind of damage is done when they dry out. The most important thing is you can charge 4 batteries for one input. the test is running along good here. We are on the way.....
                          John
                          John Bedini
                          My homepage: http://johnbedini.net

Comment

John K,
                            I noticed you had some thin gauge steel beneath and poking out from the coil, a bit like johns ferris wheel pictures. Is it an attempt to regauge/ focus the magnetic flux? Please elaborate.
                            James

Comment

James, yes that is what it is. The core goes through a hole in the steel and about an inch into the wooden block.

I tried to shape it so one side attracts the next magnet on the wheel and the other side repels the scalar south when the transistor switches on and the reverse when the transistor switches off.

I shaped it until I saw an increase in RPM.

John K.

Comment

Another Update

OK, here's another update.

Battery Primary 1 2 3 4
                                Start 12.70 1.21 1.20 4.02 1.72
                                +12 Hours 12.40 13.29 12.40 11.49 11.90
                                +25 Hours 12.14 13.75 12.37 10.96 12.58
                                +36 Hours 11.87 13.98 12.56 11.14 11.61

+48 Hours 11.67 13.03 12.17 10.31 11.19
                                +56 Hours 11.48 12.91 11.85 8.72 11.00
                                +70 Hours 10.94 12.69 11.82 9.81 10.40
                                I've just had to change the primary out as it was low. I got 42 Ah out of it. But this experiment is more about seeing if I can recover some useless batteries, more than seeing if I can charge 1:4. (If I had 4 good batteries I would be doing that experiment)

It seems that the battery impedances are still coming down as the voltages are still dropping although Battery 3 looks like it may have hit the lower voltage and appears to be starting to rise again.

The batteries are still off-gassing and soaking up the acid so I am still topping them off. They give off large air bubbles, not the small bubbles you see when a battery is charged.

Unfortunately Battery 1 looks like it is toast. I'm seeing a white gel like gunk slowing forcing it's way out of where the positive terminal goes into the casing. But I'll let it keep charging as this battery was only a paper weight anyway.

On another note, I am trying another 7Ah gel-cell on the RC-1AU charger. I have it set on power level 5 (2-4Ah) so I don't cook the battery. With this one the RC-1AU will charge it for about an hour and then the green light comes on, indicating it is charged. I then top it off with more acid and let it rest for about an hour and then repeat the process. This one started on about 4.5v, even after I had it on a 55W car headlight bulb for 1 day to drain it to 0v and then reverse charged it at 0.35A for 10 minutes. It's now resting at 3.08v as it soaks up more acid and the impedance comes down. It will be interesting to see how this one goes.

John K.
                                Last edited by John_Koorn; 09-03-2012, 03:23 AM. Reason: adding stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X