John K's Superpole Bike Wheel SSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hy, John K,
    I'm planning to buy some wire for a bigger coil - 6 or 7 strands, 0,9 mm (AWG 19) or 1 mm (AWG 18), depending on final costs, but I'm not sure about how long the wire should be for each strand. Let me explain. In your first post, you said
    Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
    The coil is 5 x AWG#18 all 125' all 1.2 ohms, wrapped on a 90mm x 85mm Pittsfield spool with 1.6 mm R60 welding rods for a core. John K.
    , but according to this wire calculator site, 125 feet #18 wire = 0.814 ohm resistance. Only #20 wire = 1,29 Ohm at this length. Differences in cost are quite big, when we are talking about multiple strands, and I want to make the coil the right way. I found this online calculator to be handy for finding out the resistence of the wires, the copper weight which generate the costs and so on.
    So, which it's the most important factor, the resistance (1,2 ohm) of the wire per strand, or a fixed length, let's say 130 feet / strand, no matter the thickness of the wire? Because for #18 wire, 1,2 ohm means 190 ft/ 58 m., according to the above wire calculator, so I can make only a 5 strand coil on a standard spool.
    I don't have access to the book, so far.
    It would be, thought, very nice to have some minimal instructions, a sticky thread, for example, on how to build a functional Bedini device, at least for the beginners.
    Best regards,
    Teo

Comment

• Scope North vs South

Here are a couple of shots.

Each are scoped from Emitter Collector.

I used the 3PM kit and the same coils, transistors, batteries, etc.

All I did was swap out the rotor - I have two kits...

This second set is the rotor spinning down minus the run/primary battery (there is a large Cap in place of the run bat)

Comment

• Hi John K,

Have you reached any conclusions regarding superpole mag spacing?

Thanks,

bro d

Comment

• Hi bro d,

i haven't had a chance yet to experiment with this too much. I do plan on doubling the number of super pole magnets on the bike wheel at some point and will report back when I can compare the difference.

John K.

Comment

• SP spacing

Thanks JohnK,

Rick's ten coiler has a 17" rotor which would give 2.67" between mags.

Don't remem JB's 10 coiler rotor size.

If one has a rotor with the same number of mags as the diameter then the spacing is Pi. (roughly 3.141592654) inches.

When I had my 16", 8 coil super pole it ran at 1500rpm at about 30 volts. I didn't know enough to get it to charge well and moved on with out it.

I'm mauling a 10" 12 mag rotor with 6 coils. 2.61" spacing.

Your 27" wheel gives a little more than 4.7" spacing.

TomC mentioned that the scalar south is a lot stronger with super pole mags. So I want to pursue this effectively.

I've got 100 mags coming and I can easily put 20 matched super poles on my 16 bike wheel. (2.5" spacing)

Also if John B ( or another qualified person can give a solid number then I can adjust the size of my rotor before I

machine it and get it exact.

My max machinable rotor Diameter is 13".

I'm sure that John B could reccomend a range. If you could check with him on the difference in spacing between N out and SP's that might help save us a lot of time.

thanks again,

bro d

Comment

• Hi bro d,

Remember that Rick's 10 coiler kit did not have SP's, it had neos which did not work very well.

I did have the opportunity to experiment with a friend's 10 coiler kit (from Rick) and I replaced the rotor with a 17" SP rotor that had 20 SPs on it. The charging was definitely better than the original rotor. The scalar south was definitely more prominent.

JB's original 10 coiler has a 17" Skyway bike wheel rotor with 20 SP's.

4.7" between SP's sounds about right for my 27" bike wheel. I originally designed it to have 36 SP's which is double of what it currently has. This would bring the spacing similar to JB's original 10 coiler.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I think you just need to experiment with the spacing. The 36 SP's I have in mind for my 27" bike wheel is simply convenient as it matches the number of spokes on the wheel, so the spacing is pretty easy to get accurate. There's no more science to it than that I'm afraid.

The general rule of thumb for North out rotors is 3-5 magnet widths apart, but from my understanding that is so the North fields do not overlap - not really related to the scalar South. With the SP's you don't have that issue. I'm pretty confident that with SP's you could go as close to 1 SP width apart, but I have not done that yet.

Hope this helps...

John K.
              Last edited by John_Koorn; 04-15-2013, 10:45 PM. Reason: soptted a typo

Comment

• Originally posted by brodonh View Post
                Thanks JohnK,

Rick's ten coiler has a 17" rotor which would give 2.67" between mags.

Don't remem JB's 10 coiler rotor size.

If one has a rotor with the same number of mags as the diameter then the spacing is Pi. (roughly 3.141592654) inches.

When I had my 16", 8 coil super pole it ran at 1500rpm at about 30 volts. I didn't know enough to get it to charge well and moved on with out it.

I'm mauling a 10" 12 mag rotor with 6 coils. 2.61" spacing.

Your 27" wheel gives a little more than 4.7" spacing.

TomC mentioned that the scalar south is a lot stronger with super pole mags. So I want to pursue this effectively.

I've got 100 mags coming and I can easily put 20 matched super poles on my 16 bike wheel. (2.5" spacing)

Also if John B ( or another qualified person can give a solid number then I can adjust the size of my rotor before I

machine it and get it exact.

My max machinable rotor Diameter is 13".

I'm sure that John B could reccomend a range. If you could check with him on the difference in spacing between N out and SP's that might help save us a lot of time.

thanks again,

bro d
                if you have a magnetic pole indicator you can make a couple of superpoles and then slowly move then closer together until you see the south form, then keep pushing them together until the south disappears. the south will just get stronger as you get them closer. just have to try it.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom C View Post
                  if you have a magnetic pole indicator you can make a couple of superpoles and then slowly move then closer together until you see the south form, then keep pushing them together until the south disappears. the south will just get stronger as you get them closer. just have to try it.

Tom C
                  Hi Tom,

I made a pole indicator or a poor man's gaussmeter and found that the bet distance for N out mags is 3, 5/16"

The best spacing for SP mags is 1, 5/16.

The circuit I ued is very simple with with a 5v volage regulator and a hall senser with the out put of the hall going to a DMM.

S pole + increased voltage and vice versa.

With super poles we have the matter of 2 opposing magnetic S poles between the mags which will affect the senser.
                  I decided that maximum S reading as I pushed them together would be my best guess.

Can another one of us do a check on this?

bro d

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1407.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	45476Click image for larger version

Name:	wiel karel2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	45477

bro d

For what it's worth, I build a wheel between 9 and 10 inches (it is in cm) and I have 16 superpoled magnets n-n. The separate magnets are 1 cm thick so every magnet gap is 2 cm. I even had a wheel before that with 20 magnets where the gap between the magnets was slightly smaller then the magnet gap and they all
                    work fine. Maybe you can go even further. I found both wheels charging better then the much bigger bike wheel with the same amount of superpoles.
                    The 16 magnet wheel is running at 660 rpm with one coil and 760 with a second coil. I am planning to make 4 coils on it.

Karel
                    Last edited by knagtegl; 04-17-2013, 02:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by knagtegl View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]1795[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1796[/ATTACH]

bro d

For what it's worth, I build a wheel between 9 and 10 inches (it is in cm) and I have 16 superpoled magnets n-n. The separate magnets are 1 cm thick so every magnet gap is 2 cm. I even had a wheel before that with 20 magnets where the gap between the magnets was slightly smaller then the magnet gap and they all
                      work fine. Maybe you can go even further. I found both wheels charging better then the much bigger bike wheel with the same amount of superpoles.
                      The 16 magnet wheel is running at 660 rpm with one coil and 760 with a second coil. I am planning to make 4 coils on it.

Karel
                      Hi Karel,
                      That's worth a lot to me.
                      Thanks for the report.
                      Are you dumping caps?

Regards,

bro d

Comment

• bro d

No cap dumps, did some testing with it but first I want to get this machine running perfect and I don't want to blowup these expensive
                        transistors. I burned one down when testing cap dumps.

Did some testing with two coils and I could charge two car batteries parallel in one night with just a FWBR on the three matched parallel transistors.
                        Made a YT of it : second coil on the wheel - YouTube

Regards,
                        Karel

Comment

bro d

No cap dumps, did some testing with it but first I want to get this machine running perfect and I don't want to blowup these expensive
                          transistors. I burned one down when testing cap dumps.

Did some testing with two coils and I could charge two car batteries parallel in one night with just a FWBR on the three matched parallel transistors.
                          Made a YT of it : second coil on the wheel - YouTube

Regards,
                          Karel
                          Hi Karel,

8 strands of # 28 going to each trannsistor?

bro d

Comment

• Hi bro d

No 24 strands of #28 (0,3mm diameter) and all transistors parallel collectors connected and one FWBR.

Karel

Comment

• Hi All,

An equation that can be solved for circumference, number of super pole magnets and spacing between mags.

C - .75M = S
                              _________
                              M

C = CIRCUMFRENCE
                              M = NUMBER OF SUPER POLE MAGNETS
                              S = SPACING BETWEEN SIDES OF MAGS (NOT SPACING BETWEEN CENTER LINES)

EXAMPLE:

C - 13.5 = 1.325"
                              _______

C = 37.35"

C / Pi = ROTOR SIZE 11.889

I'm considering an approx 8" rotor with 12 mags and 6 coils.

I'ts fun to verify the 'rithmetic in a cad program.

bro d

Comment

Hi bro d

No 24 strands of #28 (0,3mm diameter) and all transistors parallel collectors connected and one FWBR.

Karel
                                Hi Karel,

I can't picture this setup.

24 transistors? into one bridge?

bro d

Comment

Working...
                                X