problems with timeinglight,stroboskopeffect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to hear it worked out for you.

Now that you have a light I will tell you something to tune too for a little insight.

tune your machine on two spikes and back it off until 3 spikes show up, then back to 2 just barley in. Notice your charging rate when you are just at the convergence point between spike counts. Now turn it up a little at a time untill you are about half way between 2 and one spike, notice your charging that way.

The same can be done within any spike count you like but the point I am trying to make is you want to find the spot just as it changes and looses a spike then go half way beyond that towards the next. In the middles of your spike count so to say, not the end, not the beginning but in the middle.

Try it out and see what you think.

Comment

That is an interesting method worth further investigation. I am hampered by the fixed base resistance (470 ohms) on the TX 8 trans board, however I can play with the method to a limited degree by removing an active coil wire input to the board. The progressive removal of coil (bottom) wires changes the overall rpm and amps, so there may be some room to play with this using a pot. I have noted in my testing that there is a very strong correlation between the charge voltage and amps values. So this volt value really helps to get a sense of change without having to put on the clamp on transducer for an amp measurement. The bike wheel speedo is great for seeing the immediate changes in rpm after modifying the config on the fly.

Thanks for another great tip!
      Yaro
      Yaro

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Comment

Another way would be to add mechanical resistance. A fan, a genny coil, some playing cards attached to the spokes, whatever you can come up with, resistance can be added to the wheel instead of through the trigger. Ideally you would do it with a pot on the trigger but you have those 470's on base so you don't have as much wiggle room there.

Anyway it is not crucial but just something to play with.

Comment

I do have an identical older wheel that is not tuned for max rpm due to the bearings etc. The frictional component on the wheel is greater - I will pull it out of the barn and see how it reacts.

Thanks again,
          Yaro
          Yaro

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Comment

Impact of Strobe on Tuning

Well I took BobZ recommendations and applied them to my current TX 8 trans board, however with only 5 coil "bottom" wires attached to the board - same high performance wheel, but with the gap decreased by 0.25" to ~ 0.175" from the previous setting of ~0.200"'. Reason for coil wire removal is the high fixed base resistance of 470 ohms leaving very little play room.

This run started w/o the resistor and with a pot for resistance adjustment. The initial speed was 198 rpm with charge amps at 0.64 and primary amps at 1.07. The charge voltage was at 13.94. The strobe was showing two very distinct bands. Sorry no video capability here as yet - there is a very interesting progression from here.

The resistance was increased in progressive steps estimated at 10 ohms each. As the resistance was increased the wheel rpm went up to a 212 value and then began to decrease down to 193. The charge voltage dropped by increments down to 13.17, while the charge and primary amps decreased to 0.32 and 0.49. The strobe showed that the two bands produced by the coil firing were increasing in width with the last read starting to flutter a bit.

Sooo, the resistance was increased a bit more (measured at 43 ohms) and here the charge voltage began to climb to 13.24, while the amps increased to 0.37 (charge) and 0.53 (primary). The wheel rpm dropped to 177. The interesting part is that BobZ pointed this experimenter to find the transition points between the 1, 2 and 3 spikes. This last data set distinctly showed the flutter in the firing points - this area of pronounced flutter (multiple unstable spikes - 3 spikes perhaps?) produced an unexpected jump in output as noted above. Truly worth the effort and time to see this happen after going in circles for a while.

Please note that this config was run twice with similar data values and spike behavior. Here the experiment is concluded for the day. More tomorrow or soon.

Yaro
            Yaro

Comment

Working...
            X