Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Mode 3 - In action

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Could be... Another thing I notice in the vid (I think) you have the dump going through an amp meter, and an amp meter on the primary side as well. Have you tried connecting that back up the same way? perhaps the amp meter is doing something to the spike and that's why your voltmeter is picking it up?
    I don't have an analog amp meter or I would have tried before posting this.

    Comment


    • #92
      That's a good point about the amp meter. I do have one but I will have to make a plug for the dumper side to put it inline.

      I shot a short video here showing what tuning I have been playing with the last few days. I am finding that I have to just write new sketches for this setup as the timing of the old ones was not for these devices. This video is more of a hang out kind of thing, I am planning to do a full run video next but this was just showing two sketch samples.

      https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmzmftzD-V0miGOzvH5b3m_Rxj-r

      Comment


      • #93
        Hi guys I have been reading this thread last days, and found it very interesting. If radiant is on switch closure it makes a lot of sense in pulse lots of times instead of just 1 big pulse.

        I have always thought that larger dump was better, because the bigger the dump the more joules etc, so if I dump from 16v down to 12v VS dump 16v down to 15v, the first one is more in joules of course, but they are both the same in the switch closure instant, the battery sees the same in the first instant of the dump, is the mosfet that cutts of before.

        So yesterday I took my little lifepo4 AA batteries, 3.2v 700 mAh each, I took 2 fully charged ones and discharged them for 1 hour, down to 6.50v. And started to charge them with a normal cap dump setup, dump from 12v to 9v. Then I discharge them again for 1 hour down to 6.50v, and repeat but changing dump from 9.8v to 9v, small dump. then discharged it again down to 6.50v and charged it again but with a larger dump, from 14,6v to 9,2 v.

        Here is the chart of those 3 runs, the input for the cap dump was the same all the time untouched solid state ssg.

        3-runs.jpg

        3-runs-data.jpg

        I will repeat this afternoon to make sure but the difference is obvios isn't?

        best

        Alvaro

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by AlvaroHN View Post
          Hi guys I have been reading this thread last days, and found it very interesting. If radiant is on switch closure it makes a lot of sense in pulse lots of times instead of just 1 big pulse.

          I have always thought that larger dump was better, because the bigger the dump the more joules etc, so if I dump from 16v down to 12v VS dump 16v down to 15v, the first one is more in joules of course, but they are both the same in the switch closure instant, the battery sees the same in the first instant of the dump, is the mosfet that cutts of before.

          So yesterday I took my little lifepo4 AA batteries, 3.2v 700 mAh each, I took 2 fully charged ones and discharged them for 1 hour, down to 6.50v. And started to charge them with a normal cap dump setup, dump from 12v to 9v. Then I discharge them again for 1 hour down to 6.50v, and repeat but changing dump from 9.8v to 9v, small dump. then discharged it again down to 6.50v and charged it again but with a larger dump, from 14,6v to 9,2 v.

          Here is the chart of those 3 runs, the input for the cap dump was the same all the time untouched solid state ssg.

          [ATTACH=CONFIG]6162[/ATTACH]

          [ATTACH=CONFIG]6163[/ATTACH]

          I will repeat this afternoon to make sure but the difference is obvios isn't?

          best

          Alvaro
          Hi Alvaro,
          Nice little experiment there, thanks for sharing it.

          There is also a relationship between the capacitance used and the battery. What your on too is correct but I would encourage you to also try changing the capacitance for example, it's not just about the voltage or the time. For me capacitance matters and frequency matters, and voltage (potential) but it's always a balance between these aspects to get the right action.

          I like what you have done and hope you will try changing a few things around and take it farther

          Comment


          • #95
            By the way guys I still plan to post some runs, I know I said it before and haven't done it yet. I have been experimenting with this stuff and getting familiar with it again. I have done a few runs but they were just to help me tweak a few things. I'm getting more dialed in to where I would want to show. It may not show the properties of the big in-rush like that old video but I would still say that there is an advantage to this regardless if we can scope it or not, the proof is in the results of a run really, just where it has always been.

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by BobZilla View Post
              Hi Alvaro,
              Nice little experiment there, thanks for sharing it.

              There is also a relationship between the capacitance used and the battery. What your on too is correct but I would encourage you to also try changing the capacitance for example, it's not just about the voltage or the time. For me capacitance matters and frequency matters, and voltage (potential) but it's always a balance between these aspects to get the right action.

              I like what you have done and hope you will try changing a few things around and take it farther
              Tnx Bob I will try some more runs with exact same parameters but changing capacitance as you suggest and see what happens.

              Lastnight I made 2 more runs, the battery was charged from the day before, but the standing voltage was less than previous runs (probably because long rest time), so I discharged it down to 6,50v like in previous runs, but the discharge time was less to get down to 6,50v, that time the discharge time was 50 minutes, all others where 57~59 min.

              So the battery was probably more charged than in others runs after that discharge, so the first charge run on the following chart is shorter because of that, it would probably would be 1 hour 25 min like the day before.

              ffUntitled-2.jpg

              so here I have 2 charge runs in yellow, the first one is with regular dumps, time 1 hour 12 minutes (but it should have been 1 hour 25 min because shorter discharge time).

              The second yellow run is with the mini dumps instead of large dumps, and again, time is much less, 1 hour 25 min from the other days, vs 1 hour 2 minutes.

              I will make runs changing capacitance and post the results.

              best,

              Alvaro

              Comment


              • #97
                Hi Alvaro,
                Nice work again. I'm glad your doing these tests and sharing with everyone. Yea the lifePO4 can be a little hard to test stuff with because of their discharge characteristics. I think your doing great anyway but especially with those cells it's hard to go just from voltages. My larger ones will discharge almost on a flat line until they just drop off the cliff, not quite the same as lead acid.

                Look forward to seeing your extended tests.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Still testing some sketches. I am running the one below tonight and it's doing pretty good. This one has a dance at the start and then two steps. These steps are touching right down to the primary voltage so that a bit of a reversal happens but only very briefly. This shot is across the caps, primary is in gen mode.

                  2step.JPG

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Bob
                    Thank you for continued education, wondering, do you remember where you got those blue capacitors, what they are called, having trouble finding them.

                    Comment


                    • Hi Brian,
                      I got most of those along time ago on a surplus site in bulk. If you don't mind paying full price for new stuff you can find similar ones at Mouser.

                      I actually just ordered some of these to try out on that old SS from the old video, these are 15Kuf.

                      http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...47-LNR1H153MSE

                      Comment


                      • Bob
                        Question for you Bob, i have watched this video (the one where you explain the cap dump and the solid state device feeding it) several times, i am waiting for caps to build a cap dump like you show in the video. Now for the question, do you recall the the specs of the coil you show on the solid state device that is feeding the cap dump. Also will that solid state device charge batteries on its own without the cap dump? I put together a device pretty much identical to the one you have in the video with the exception I used two coils in parallel. They were microwave secondary's. The output is no higher than the input. I have the arduino sketch running that you show in video (432 hertz). I'm thinking the resistance might be too high.
                        Last edited by Brian McNece; 03-27-2017, 07:19 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Brian McNece View Post
                          Bob
                          Question for you Bob, i have watched this video (the one where you explain the cap dump and the solid state device feeding it) several times, i am waiting for caps to build a cap dump like you show in the video. Now for the question, do you recall the the specs of the coil you show on the solid state device that is feeding the cap dump. Also will that solid state device charge batteries on its own without the cap dump? I put together a device pretty much identical to the one you have in the video with the exception I used two coils in parallel. They were microwave secondary's. The output is no higher than the input. I have the arduino sketch running that you show in video (432 hertz). I'm thinking the resistance might be too high.
                          Hey Brian. Glad to hear your working on things. I made a video response for your questions.

                          There are a few places where he picture just freezes for a bit but the audio stays on track,, sorry everyone but I didn't have time to do it over,

                          Link:
                          https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmzmftzD-V0miGX7ZBPxlTFaWltv

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by BobZilla View Post
                            Hey Brian. Glad to hear your working on things. I made a video response for your questions.

                            There are a few places where he picture just freezes for a bit but the audio stays on track,, sorry everyone but I didn't have time to do it over,

                            Link:
                            https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmzmftzD-V0miGX7ZBPxlTFaWltv
                            Hi Bob,
                            Why do'nt you put another Solid-state Relay there that depicts the Ron cole par switch...just a tutorial to play with the Aurdino very good set up and presentation
                            Best Regards,
                            Faraday88.
                            'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by BobZilla View Post
                              Hey Brian. Glad to hear your working on things. I made a video response for your questions.

                              There are a few places where he picture just freezes for a bit but the audio stays on track,, sorry everyone but I didn't have time to do it over,

                              Link:
                              https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmzmftzD-V0miGX7ZBPxlTFaWltv
                              Thank you Bob for taking the time to do that video, i appreciate it, also it gives me a couple ideas to try before having to wind a coil. By the way i like the way you explain things clearly in your videos.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
                                Hi Bob,
                                Why do'nt you put another Solid-state Relay there that depicts the Ron cole par switch...just a tutorial to play with the Aurdino very good set up and presentation
                                Best Regards,
                                Faraday88.
                                Hi Faraday,
                                This was specifically to help Brian who is having trouble with his experiment. I don't want to confuse the situation by adding more complexity, besides it's just a switch. What I wanted to drive home for Brian is that the coil must be loaded properly to get the field collapse. Brian hopefully you understood what I was showing but to say it plainly again here, if you have a coil with a lot of resistance then you will need a longer on time to load the coil. The sketch I am using works very well for my coil but that is because it is roughly tuned for that coil. This is the same reason why Mr Bedini specifies what the coil length should be and what gauge on the beginners type monopole build, because he already calculated what would give the correct coil loading for that machine. It's not that there is a magic number when it comes to a coil size, you just need to understand what is happening and then you can design anything around the principals at work.

                                On a side note I do find a point where a coil can have just too much resistance to work very well. You can always get it to fire but then the frequency becomes the issue, if you have to spend to long loading it then you cannot get it going fast enough to charge very well. Gennerally speaking I think anywhere between 1 to 5 ohms is workable but closer to 3 is best. I am talking about for a SS build like what we are dealing with here. For a regular wheel it's more like 1.2 ohm. See with this setup we are not using resistors and manipulating the base amplitude, this is more raw direct on the coil so we use a bit more resistance in the coil itself.
                                Last edited by BobZilla; 03-29-2017, 05:02 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X