No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Cap Dump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Bro, the 25k pot going to pin 2 of the 741 adjusts the dump voltage.

John K.

Comment

• Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
      Hey Bro, the 25k pot going to pin 2 of the 741 adjusts the dump voltage.

John K.
      Hi John,

I have that pot in place.

I want to be able to adjust the voltage that is closest to the batt voltage at the end of the dump.

At present the pulse begings at 31v and ends at 19v.

I want to adjust the 19v from 15-25v. RS calls it the reset voltage point.

I don't understand the 741 well enough to place another pot.

Would using a pot to adjust the null, be a good direction.

Bedini talks about general ignorance regarding comparators but doesn't say anything to reduce the ignorance.

He talks negatively about text book knowledge. I'm not guilty of that, nor do I understand his knowledge of comparators.

Sometimes it looks like I've been chasing the wind for 10 years but I won't agree with that picture.

Keepin on,

bro d
      Last edited by brodonh; 06-06-2013, 07:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by min2oly
        Just under a second, very nice. 1 amp draw, you're in the ballpark w/ awg 20 there. Are you using the 24 +/- Ah garden batteries, single spike, played with magnet coil gap etc... pictures?

I'm always very curious when someone has taken their build this far. I see you talked about it a bit over on John K's Superpole thread. How'd that chicken coop turn out? I put one together a couple years ago using only kitchen cabinets and wood from a kitchen remodel plus the wire of course, and we indulged one small corrugated roof.

On draw, I meant the draw of the comparator only.
        how much energy is the comparator circuit using just by itself, not including the SSG?
        KR,
        Patrick
        Hi Patrick,

Thie chicken coop came out well. It lookes like a 2 story motel with a veranda for 16 hens.

I bought plans for $17.50 and they were profoundly inefficient time wise. The concept was OK, but we wasted a lot of time redoing sections of the coop. Our 9 chicks are only a month old and one looks like a rooster. I'll need to put in electrical for the New England winters. Got to keep their water above freezing.

I'm using new garden tractor batts and I've etched my cct. Have a new bike 16" D alloy rim and will be setting that up with a shaft that turns and 21 mags. In the past I've built a lot of multicoil machines but it seems that I didn't spend enough time and effort with the basics.

Havn't learned to post vids and pics yet but will get started with that.

bro d

Comment

• Hi Patrick,

Chicken motel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0139.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	45615

Link to vid of setup. I failed to show pulse amperage which is about 2.5A.

bro d

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/br...tml?sort=3&o=0
          Last edited by brodonh; 06-06-2013, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by brodonh View Post
            Hi John,

I have that pot in place.

I want to be able to adjust the voltage that is closest to the batt voltage at the end of the dump.

At present the pulse begings at 31v and ends at 19v.

I want to adjust the 19v from 15-25v. RS calls it the reset voltage point.

I don't understand the 741 well enough to place another pot.

Would using a pot to adjust the null, be a good direction.

Bedini talks about general ignorance regarding comparators but doesn't say anything to reduce the ignorance.

He talks negatively about text book knowledge. I'm not guilty of that, nor do I understand his knowledge of comparators.

Sometimes it looks like I've been chasing the wind for 10 years but I won't agree with that picture.

Keepin on,

bro d
            Hey bro, actually all you want to do is adjust the 31v down to about 25v. You want to dump at about twice the battery voltage and cut the dump off at about 1.5 times the battery voltage (~18v). Peter explains why in the http://www.emediapress.com/go.php?of...ergysci&pid=38

John K.

Comment

• Comparator power usage

Hi Patrick,

Your coop looks like a 4 star to me.

I'm sure the "Lady's" are fine with it.

Name:	JB CHARGE.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	45620

I've updated the comparator sche and as you can see it is powered from the caps.
              The H11D1 doesn't isolate but is just a switch.
              The LM741 has two dc inputs.

On my other pulser that is from the intermediate manual, the cct up to the opto is powered from the supply to the ssg circuit and it also has a Voltage regulator form the caps that powers the rest of it. It would be easy to check but the comparator cct seems to require more complex testing to know the power is uses.

At the moment I don't want to desolder for in line amp meters, maybe later.

bro d
              Last edited by brodonh; 06-07-2013, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                Hey bro, actually all you want to do is adjust the 31v down to about 25v. You want to dump at about twice the battery voltage and cut the dump off at about 1.5 times the battery voltage (~18v). Peter explains why in the Bedini SG - The Complete Intermediate Handbook

John K.
                Hi John K,

I lowered the pulse voltage to 25v and the pulse ends at 18v automatically.

I heard John B say that his comparator off the bike wheel was dumping at 31v so that was my reason for 31v.

Regards,

bro d
                Last edited by brodonh; 06-07-2013, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Hi John K,

I lowered the pulse voltage to 25v and the pulse ends at 18v automatically.

I heard John B say that his comparator off the bike wheel was dumping at 31v so that was my reason for 31v.

Regards,

bro d
                  bro, that's where you want it. Not sure where JB said that, he's always said to dump at double the battery voltage.

John K.

Comment

Thankyou Chris for the vid.

I became convinced that I could build the cct while watching your vid.

I have it running now with John K's recommendations.

I now need to understand how to set the voltage at the end of the dump.

Does anyone have insight?

I thought that I posted this yesterday but.................

Thanks,

bro d
                    Hi Bro d,

Can you elaborate on what recommendations John K made for this circuit?

Thanks,
                    Chris

Comment

Hi John,

I'm using the first schematic that Chris shows in his vid (post #170). It is the one that Ron Chase posted, which you and RS modified for 12v charge bank.

Thanks,

bro d

P.S.
                      http://www.energyscienceforum.com/at...ctor-fix_2.jpg

This pic has the RS mod but not yours.

D7 is changed to (5.1v Zener 5W).

C1, 1uF ceramic and C2 2.2uF electrolytic.

0.47 uF cap over pins 2/3 of the LM741,

Does anyone know what the 0.47uF cap over pins 2&3 of the 741 is doing? I don't have that in my circuit, what would I gain by adding that?

Thanks!
                      Chris

Comment

• Hi John,
                        Can you offer any advice as to what JB means regarding ignorance regarding comparators and negativity toward textbook knowledge. If he indeed is saying this there is obviously something to be learned here.
                        Regards
                        James

Comment

• Originally posted by Catrinisin View Post
                          Does anyone know what the 0.47uF cap over pins 2&3 of the 741 is doing? I don't have that in my circuit, what would I gain by adding that?

Thanks!
                          Chris
                          Hi Chris,

Caps across the input pins are to stabilize and cut out unwanted frequencies that could lower the quality of switching.

One EE that has helped me with Hi Power switching of mosfets wants to see two or three different size caps in and out of IC's.

For example he might put 100nf, 1u and 10uf across those same two pins.

He says that the three values cover a spectrum of frequencies and prevent them from lowering the quality of the signal that ends up at the Mosfet gates.

He'll put them before and after IC's.

He also reccomends large straight short wires to the mosfets.

I have seen very poor charge rates with my comparator and cap pulser circuits.

I'm etching one with dble sided big leads for the caps and battery connections.

Going to try it with 6 gauge wire.

bro d
                          Last edited by brodonh; 06-10-2013, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Hi All,

This is a jpeg of the comparator circuit I've etched.

bro d

Name:	RC comparator.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	45626

Comment

• Caps from intermediate manual?

http://tedss.com/2020031518

They look relatively tall and skinny.

I ordered a few and will report.

If these are exellent I can get them from my China connection for a much better price even though

I paid $10 per unit which is pretty good.

bro d
                              Last edited by brodonh; 06-10-2013, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• Bro d,

You the man! Thanks for the info on the caps and the filter caps on pins 2,3; This is very helpful to me. The cap you posted above looks to me to be perfect for this application, should be fast.

I look forward to your report on how it all works!

Regards,
                                Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X