No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Cap Dump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pay close attention to Patrick and what he is saying.... "negistor" or negative resistor. 2n222 one of the Transistors JB mentioned that goes negative. when he says it will run forever, it will. its a tank with a negistor.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

• Hello Michael,
      Thank you for bringing up the skeptic. I know you are not the skeptic, and that the skeptic would have similar words and questions for some of the posts you’ve made in your recent findings. You have come a long way in a year’s time. Congradulations. The rest is for the skeptic…

“The mind of a skeptic. What drives the skeptic is somebody that doesn’t believe in his own work. He doesn’t believe that anything is possible because early on in age he was totally brainwashed. In other words, What if 1 + 1 = does not equal 2. What if it equals eleven hundred.”

Can we see it also equals window?

This ckt is very simple, much simpler than some of the more complex cap pulsers that have been built by so many. I know you will not have any problem putting this one together if you have not already done so.

It’s not a big deal really just another seemingly small and insignificant post. Pay no attention; once in a while I can’t help myself. You see, it's insupposable to obverse the mind of the skeptic.

Thank you for your kind post and words.

Comment

• This negistor circuit will go into my "to do" collection for sure, thanks for sharing Pat.

Well I finally made a little video as I tried to copy (not exact) Patrick's comparator cap dump. I didn't know what size wire you had for a coil, what size cap you used to charge to 2 volts, or what size pot you used on the top, and I have a different ssr. I believe you described all other elements. For some reason I am only getting .5 volts in the cap/pot used to regulate when it dumps so do I need pot with higher resistance? I have a 100k pot there with a 35v 220 uf cap. My coil is 130' of #26 and #31. My SSR is 24-380 volts AC on top and 3-32 DC on the bottom.

The battery charges but the dumping cap doesn't go more than 2 volts above the charge battery unless I unhook the negative of the charge battery, then the cap will shoot up to 50v, then if I hook it back up it wont dump, so I have to release the voltage manually. So it seems to be dumping at a lower voltage and maybe the ssr is the problem? You guys here are most helpful, thank you. So here is my first attempt at a cap dump. Aln

Last edited by aln; 01-19-2014, 11:32 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

• Originally posted by aln View Post
          This negistor circuit will go into my "to do" collection for sure, thanks for sharing Pat.

Well I finally made a little video as I tried to copy (not exact) Patrick's comparator cap dump. I didn't know what size wire you had for a coil, what size cap you used to charge to 2 volts, or what size pot you used on the top, and I have a different ssr. I believe you described all other elements. For some reason I am only getting .5 volts in the cap/pot used to regulate when it dumps so do I need pot with higher resistance? I have a 100k pot there with a 35v 220 uf cap. My coil is 130' of #26 and #31. My SSR is 24-380 volts AC on top and 3-32 DC on the bottom.

The battery charges but the dumping cap doesn't go more than 2 volts above the charge battery unless I unhook the negative of the charge battery, then the cap will shoot up to 50v, then if I hook it back up it wont dump, so I have to release the voltage manually. So it seems to be dumping at a lower voltage and maybe the ssr is the problem? You guys here are most helpful, thank you. So here is my first attempt at a cap dump. Aln

Al,
          Very nice! i think you are the first to actually replicate and share. I think you guessed correctly, the SSR is locking up/not working like a DC/DC SSR. Same thing happend to the ac/dc ssr i've got.
          It looks like you have everything else working very nicely.

the bad news - those dc/dc ssr's are not cheep. I had purchased some attempting to replicate JB's cap dump that he had on the Ferris wheel. I've never been one to advise others to spend money - I don't like spending it myself.

We can replicate JB's comparator ckt for the same price of a DC/DC SSR and JB's comparator ckt will allow more amps. I found out the hard way, and burned up one of my SSR's when I had it dumping my Ferris Wheel caps

We can, however, use the same method I used to trigger the SSR to also trigger an SCR and a mosfet, however, And/But I have not drawn up the ckt - too lazy these days. I didn't even make a vid of the simple negistor light.
          I'll check my notes to see if I drew up the scr or mosfet in the past.

Thanks for sharing the vid - oh, I don't have that version of Rick's 3PM - I have the original one w/ the aluminum wheel plus the aluminum fly wheel. I mention this because I think they will behave differently, and the mod that I did to get mine to go OU might not work the same for yours.
          Do you happen to have a scope? I could see if the wave matches mine... it's all about balance, and getting a nice spike for nothing. If the voltage in your cap is going up quickly like you mention, you will have no problem charging a battery with your setup.

Oh for anyone trying to replicate the negistor light w/o a scope - you may as well be herding cats. sorry...

Comment

• Patrick,
            thanks for quick response. I would love to see notes on the scr/mosfet. I may look for a dc/dc ssr to complete the project. There seems to be no end on the list of things to buy. I do not have the aluminum fly wheel, but I wouldn't think they would be too different. No scope here either, nor would I know what to do with one and yes this will charge if I get it to dump, still way behind the rest of you. Maybe i'll do a zener diode or neon cap dump in the meantime. herding cats sound fun not. Aln

Comment

• Originally posted by min2oly View Post

Can we see it also equals window?
              Here you go.

Comment

• There we have it folks! 1+1=window. Nice musical touch pat

Comment

• Today I ordered a dc/dc ssr, I will get this thing going. need a new rotor now though for the 3pm kit. Try to post a vid soon. Aln

Comment

• Patrick,
                    Got your cap dump going! Moving on to one form of the lenz free generator and was wondering if the cap makes a difference. I used a little one and blew its guts out the top, luckily it was pointed down . I suppose an A/C cap is a must. first plugged it in to a 5 amp 120 volt power source, then 10 amp and heard some fast quiet beeping then poof. But in a matter of seconds I was serioulsy charging a 7.5 ah battery with the cap dump from the wall. Thanks for sharing. Aln

Comment

• Been running the cap dump for a day now with my 14awg coil and the ssr was sitting in a plastic holder and could feel heat coming off it this morning so I measured the temp to be 147 F and decided it may need a heat sink, have you found this too or am I doing something wrong? It's a 25 amp 110 volt DC ssr, maybe It needs to be a higher voltage rated SSR. Aln

Comment

• Originally posted by aln View Post
                        Been running the cap dump for a day now with my 14awg coil and the ssr was sitting in a plastic holder and could feel heat coming off it this morning so I measured the temp to be 147 F and decided it may need a heat sink, have you found this too or am I doing something wrong? It's a 25 amp 110 volt DC ssr, maybe It needs to be a higher voltage rated SSR. Aln
                        Yes, I found the same thing - and even blew the darn thing when I overloaded it (too big of a cap). Also, whenever there is heat, there are losses. I love this thing for my smaller 1 coil 4filer builds, it runs cool and I can see the effects.

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                        We can replicate JB's comparator ckt for the same price of a DC/DC SSR and JB's comparator ckt will allow more amps. I found out the hard way, and burned up one of my SSR's when I had it dumping my Ferris Wheel caps
                        Did you end up trying that AC cap on the mains Light Lenz charger? make sure and put it in a box or add some protection/fuse in that ckt. Safety first...

Comment

• Yes, and Woweee! That pumps up a 700 cca car battery in a matter of minutes. Tried it on a 750 cca with a bad cell and heard some popping sound in the battery. Scared me so I quit with that one. Hooked it up to the Patrick's comparator cap dump too. I see why you write "danger," heated the cap up good too. Do you actually use this? Fun and easy, danger danger, I'm in. Aln

Comment

• Hi everybody, i have a small monopole charging desulphating some large batteries, im wanting to build a cap dump circuit off the output, i have had some success with neon scr and 555 scr circuits. at higher power outputs they dont work, and suffered from latching, im looking to design a comparator circuit that compares the battery voltage to a parallel series doubler circuit, using a mosfet. i had a little play with paint and came up with a circuit, its been along time since i used op amps so i dont know if what i have drawn will work, i have not built it yet, if you can see a problem with it let me know, some parts are block diagrams and the circuit is incomplete. Click image for larger version

Name:	cap doubler circuit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	46047

Comment

• Hi bmw, welcome to the forum.

Can I ask why you want a cap doubler circuit in there? (If I read that correctly)

There's a couple of really good comparator based cap pulsers on this thread.

John K.

Comment

• Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                                Hi bmw, welcome to the forum.

Can I ask why you want a cap doubler circuit in there? (If I read that correctly)

There's a couple of really good comparator based cap pulsers on this thread.

John K.
                                I wanted to use a doubler so that the pulse voltage matches exactly the battery voltage X2, also it would always charge a battery with the correct voltage no matter what voltage the battery was 6 12 24 ... without adjustment.
                                the comparator circuits i have seen use a pre determined level and they also seem to run off the output which seems counter productive, also the input impedance is less than ideal, i thought this would clamp the radiant spike. If you can point me to some good circuits diagrams page and thread, that would be really useful, i didnt manage to find many.

i don't think the circuit i have drawn would work looking at it today, i think the capacitors will be clamped at battery level thru the diodes, may have to use 2 mosfets like in the JB patent

another thing the circuit does not have gate driver is the transistor gate driver a better way?

an idea i had for a way of measuring the voltage in the cap was to use the captret effect,
                                the reason i wanted to do this is because when i put the multimeter on the battery there is a charge present and the meter seems to drop down every time it has a chance to build and the input resistance of the meter is extremely high, has anyone else seen this happen? i dont seem to get as fast charging with the meter attached either.

I may use a timer for doing cap dumping for now, i have a 555 hd11 scr board that im sick of! i might put a fet on that.
                                i had a go with a flasher relay as a timer and switch it worked well at low uf but as i increased this it welded shut.

Comment

Working...
                                X