2020 Energy Science & Technology Conference

Pre-Register for FREE for the 2020 Energy Science & Technology Conference.

Registration Form:
Presenter Bio/Talk Descriptions:
See more
See less

Single Battery Bedini Using Isolated DC Supply Module

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Single Battery Bedini Using Isolated DC Supply Module

    I performed an experiment by charging and running the same 12V battery, using a 12V In/Out Isolated DC Supply Module and an Arduino Microcontroller. The circuit diagram has been attached. Arduino was used to first open a pin to disconnect the "Normally Closed" Solid State Relay to cut the Bedini run. It then immediately opens another pin that is connected to a "Normally Open" Solid State Relay, to dump the charge from the capacitor to the same run battery, for about 30ms. Then it closed both the pins. It does this activity every 5 seconds, until the change on the capacitor reaches to about 24-30 V for the dump.

    The idea of adding the DC Isolated Supply Module was to isolate the "run" and the "dump" operation. The run section of the circuit is unaware of the dump into the battery due to isolation. Arduino was purely used to control the timing to disconnect the run of the Bedini circuit and then to immediately perform the dump.

    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dieselship; 09-12-2015, 01:30 PM.

  • #2
    Intresting Idea, but what results do you already have or expect?


    • #3
      I used the following isolated module shown in the link. The results were good. I was using a fully charged 12V battery for the test. The voltage was bouncing between 12.43V - 12.44V - 12.43V. I ran it for around 5 hours and it was the same pattern during the run. Initially, during the start the voltage goes down from its start point which which was 12.50V. Once it settled in about 5 minutes, it remained at the 12.43-12.44 range. After I switched off the system, it then went back to around 12.50V which was what the voltage before I started the test. So I was impressed with the results. It worked well with the 900 turn bifiler coil that I was using.
      There are limits on current these modules can output. It worked well for the smaller system that I was using it on. But if you are going to use on a larger 8 filer system, then I assume this particular specification shown in the link may not work. You will have to find an isolator with a larger current output than what this model can deliver.

      Last edited by Dieselship; 09-13-2015, 10:17 AM.


      • #4
        Hi Dieselship,
        ..sounds promissing. can you start another testrun a longer time ( 20hrs ) and post the result?
        what input current draws the system, and battery type/Ah is in use?

        thanks a lot,


        • #5
          Hi Hobbyrobotik,
          The run/charge battery is about 275 cold cranking amps from Exide. I was running the Arduino on a 9v battery that kept draining after few hours. At one point I didn't realize that the Arduino had shutdown and the CAP was at full charge, since the dump had halted. Luckily it didn't blowup. I need to find a better way to power the Arduino by powering it with a larger Ah battery before I run the system for a longer time. I'll let you know of the results.

          I am working on a larger Bedini system with 8 spools of eight filer. I do this smaller side experiment on my smaller Bedini system that I later like to incorporate into the larger system, if it is successful.

          At the input, the current usage is about 161 milliamperes. So it is a small system with a small wheel that I created out of an harddrive bearing. I also made a modification to replace the CAP I had with a 10k uF one.

          Last edited by Dieselship; 09-14-2015, 06:33 PM. Reason: Current usage added