Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lman View Post
    Hi all,

Long time reader and follower, I have been shy to post my thoughts as I started self-teaching myself electronics just two years ago. Being a musician by education and practicing sound engineer, I could not resist posting after I have seen the recent videos of John Bedini.
    One word - amazing.
    What John has shown us in these videos is that an amplifier is just an amplifier. And because it says audio it means that it is calculated to the audio specification required, but it does not mean that it can not be used for something else. And in the case of the linear current amp (which is also the Solar Tracker 5 technology ) John has done it in the most efficient and clever way I have seen.

John K, Faraday88 and all non audio guys, I recommend you do some 5-10 minutes research about the different audio amplifier classes. If I get it, you will get it for sure. And knowing now that an audio amplifier can be used for other uses it is good to know the different circuits.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amp...lifier-classes
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifier

In short Class A amplifiers are said to be the cleanest sounding but most inefficient class - about 20%. The transistor or vacuum tube is driven through the whole 360 degree cycle of the sound wave, and this is the reason for the heat. Also there is so called quiescent current, meaning it is still conducting some current when there is no audio fed to the amp. With the Class B efficiency raises but so does the distortion, and this is the reason for a new classes like AB1, AB2, D and some hybrids. So with audio it is a trade-off between advantages and disadvantages.
    Talking about solar charging now you do not have this inefficiency because all depends on the sun. The sun goes up, it starts conducting. The sun goes down - the conducting ... well, probably does not stop if it catches the shining stars or the moon

What else has John shown us ? That while charging the battery we can take power, and it is not coming from the battery but from the supply first (solar or not). Just think about the implementation of that. You can come up with some ideas I am sure. I do not know any other solar product that can do that, without destroying the battery.
    What else ? John mentioned generator mode in the video with the SSG ... just think about what happens when the charging battery is topped. That is the bomb for me.
    Guys, if you understand all of this you would know that this is a priceless product.

Doing some research about the terms John used in the videos, I have found some links that would give hints and shed some light on what he is talking about in the videos :

http://www.electroschematics.com/668...dio-amplifier/
    http://www.reuk.co.uk/LM317-High-Cur...-Regulator.htm

Not the way John has done it but gives some clues.

John B., correct me if I am wrong, but is not also a capacitor multiplier applied along with the Beta multiplier ?
    Also, I am sure you have done it but if the linear current amplifier is coupled with a tube would it gain some sonic quality ?
    I wonder if there is a clever way to harness the heat of the amp to heat the cathode of vacuum tubes. That would be fun to experiment with.
    You have said in another post, that that audio amp would outperform tube single-ended class A - I suppose sonically, but how efficient is compared to the others ?
    If I got it right it is also more efficient than the others.

And last but not least, as this is my first post in the forum I would like to say for lack of better and stronger word, thank you John Bedini for everything you have done for us opening our eyes, ears and minds. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and explaining your technology and circuits patiently to whoever wants to know it all around the world. This suits only to the wiser.
    And if there is something that makes me a little sad, it is that you are better known around the world with the alternative energy products than the audio products. I wish that it was not like this as I know that the audio is your first passion, but this is another subject.
    The word thank you just lost its power when it comes saying it to you John. This is how I feel learning about the linear amp and upgrading my knowledge about this technology. If I say it 1000 times it would be better but not enough, would 1001 do it ?

Sincerely
    Lman
    Hey Luman,

Thanks very much Indeed!!! will leisurely go through the links, by the way I'm a good singer

Best Regards,

Faraday88.
    'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Hi John K,

I have read on John's 3D Surround Sound In some of his old posts, is this Magnetic Field Orientation Amplifier to acoustics as applicable to Electronics Amplifiers..?
      the Audio clarifier....ect..
      Rgds,
      Faraday88.

Comment

Hi JB,

'so look at the circuits used in a car alternator, as your car goes down the road never touching the battery, and that alternator is supplying the load and floating the battery, solar panel is nothing more then that with Linear Regulator Amplifier, the Amplifier is no more then that servo controlled by impedance.'
        This is a very nice Analogy of how the Tracker must be functioning with out 'touching' the Battery while still channeling Power to the load, wonder how this is affected using
        the Solar Panel and the Amplifier...!! Servo mechanism with the Battery Impedance is also the way it works with SSG ...it looks like a lot has to be studied on Amplifiers principle as a Constant Current source and its loads..
        Best Regards,
        Faraday88.

Comment

Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
          Hi John K,

I have read on John's 3D Surround Sound In some of his old posts, is this Magnetic Field Orientation Amplifier to acoustics as applicable to Electronics Amplifiers..?
          the Audio clarifier....ect..
          Rgds,
          Faraday88.
          Sorry Faraday, I don't know the answer to that question.

John K.

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for the fast responses and especially to John Bedini, having in mind that he is so busy with the new S3A12 and preparing for the conference.

In my previous post as I mentioned about the implementation of S3A12, one of the ideas that came to my mind was to put it in series between the alternator and the accumulator, in order to keep the last properly charged. Now that John pointed out to the regulator in the alternator I think that this idea might not work in this case. I am not sure. As the S3A12 is tracking the impedance and controlling the charge, I assume that the regulator inside the alternator might not see the accumulator and not start supplying power. Or if it starts it would not sense how to control it and lead to braking the S3A12. Well, just and idea I wanted to share.
            But we definitely must study the servo control as John has pointed out to it twice, and it is the key to the heart of how the charge is controlled.

Faraday88,
            On your question about the John's Surround Sound I think his B.A.S.E technology is involved. But not only this as it is the whole concept of how John deals with sound. It is the whole chain from the source playing to your ears. Purest sound in - purest sound out plus something more, plus the emotions you get
            I think I would open a thread in the audio section of the forum to share some thoughts in order not to deflect the direction of this one.

Later I will post another link to some very useful video that taught me a lot and I think should be posted here.

Lman
            Last edited by Lman; 05-03-2014, 08:26 AM.

Comment

The "Series-Pass" very well explained !!

Hi all,

Here is the link to a video I mentioned earlier today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDs5SZIFLKk

For some people it might be nothing new, but for some electronic newbies like me it is very very well explained.
              It might be helpful to anybody who wants to know how to do their own high current regulators.
              Watch it till the end. The last minute is important !!

Lman

Comment

Lman,
                Good your learning and not wasting your time. It is simple, however in the case of the series pass device the correct one must be chosen for the voltage and current. One other thing. What I have done here is to combine a beta multiplier meaning the gain of the transistor makes up the filtering by adding a capacitor to the base circuit. Adding one more thing is the Zener circuit and letting the zener control the voltage to the base without that complicated divider circuit. Think about how he said adding 12.7 volts to the base circuit, would it not be much easier to just turn on the transistor from collector to base with a fixed value and then using a zener to ground in the darlington circuit?. Servo amplifiers are used to control DC to drive motors in this case we want a signal to tell the DC amplifier what to do when the battery is charged. The Regulator is just a reference voltage for the amplifier.
                Good Work.
                John B
                John Bedini
                My homepage: http://johnbedini.net

Comment

Thank you John,

I am learning because you lead me into the right direction.
                  I just stopped looking at those alternator's regulator schematics, and concluded that it was more simple than I thought.
                  In the past they used relays, burning the contacts and changing relays. And nowadays it is always the Zener diode that do the sensing. So in non conductive state the current goes to one circuit to charge the accumulator/battery, and in conductive state the zener controls another circuit diverting the energy to the ground. Simple as that.
                  And I thought indeed that there is a divider for the zener in the SSG Linear Amplifier charger, but your last post cleared that out.

I have seen people are doing their own alternator regulators, or do them externally which tells me that there must be some way S3A12 to be used in the car and keep the accumulator in top shape.

About what the guy said in the video adding 12.7 volts to the base got me thinking the first time I watched it. As far as I know about electronics at this stage, most of the transistors require around 5 volts. So this is something new to study now. And about the capacitor to base, I asked you in my first post if it acts as a capacitance multiplier as well but seems you missed it.

By the way I forgot to mention to you. What a great choice of music for the demonstration of the audio amp. You just have no idea what this video did to me, bringing me to tears.
                  When the video started I heard the noisy microphone and had it in mind. Plus your point was to show us the technology as the real magic can only be heard in front of the speakers.
                  Than began the music I thought what a nice smooth jazz instrumental. And when I heard the singing in portoguese it hit me. Who would have thought that John would listen to brazilian artist. That speaks again about the personality of you John. I have been working with musicians from around the world including latinos and brazilians as well. And that music in the video brought some good memories, plus having you explaining that beautiful amplifier and teaching us got me really emotional. I watched it a couple of times before going to bed and still watch it from time to time
                  And I do not just believe about the sound but I know that it is crystal clear. If I am right that transformer must be output transformer which means that the efficiency of the amp is higher than 50 percents. And as this amp uses the linear technology it would stand out not only above other Class A but other classes I am sure.

Well, I am going to study now because my audio soul is calling some emotions again

Lman

P.S.
                  For those interested, the song in the video is called "Voce e linda" (you are beautiful) by Caetano Veloso.
                  Last edited by Lman; 05-04-2014, 12:47 AM.

Comment

the video

in 12 high currant /out 5 high currant/ reg 5.7 low currant .7 over to turn on transistor
                    same in 20 hc out 12 hc /reg 12.7 Lc / .7 turn on transistor
                    Think about how he said adding 12.7 volts to the base circuit, would it not be much easier to just turn on the transistor from collector to base with a fixed value and then using a zener to ground in the darlington circuit?

take reg voltage off collector to base with a fixed value
                    Last edited by guyzzemf; 05-04-2014, 04:00 AM.

Comment

The Impedance Sensing !

Hi John,

Seems I got it a little wrong about how the zener works, in my previous post. But than I remembered what I saw in the videos you, Peter L. and Aaron showed us.
                      After reading again more articles and having seen so many schematics, variations and examples, I started to connect the dots. I need to put one of those big heatsinks on my head, as the ICs inside will start to smoke. But it was worth it at the end. Now I think I understand much better what happens.
                      The zener and the base-emitter junction of the series-pass are interacting and forming a variable resistor, which based on the load impedance controls the current. Now I see the importance of the beta that must be calculated properly, and the voltage that feeds the input of the amplifier.
                      And the capacitor helps in two ways I think - it filters and helps stabilize the reference point.
                      Also makes me realize how beautiful devices those TO3 in the audio amp are.

I read also that this arrangement with the darlington and the capacitor to base is much more stable, and significantly reduces the quiescent/idling current down to miliamps, making it in some cases more effective than three pin device. Which tells me again two things :
                      - in the case of the charger the losses are reduced to almost nothing.
                      - in the case with the audio amplifier the efficiency is very very high and I see why most if not all of your amplifiers are Class A

I am trying to imagine the tube amplifier you mentioned that Eric Dollard built.

I highly recommend to all visitors of the forum to check the audio section of the forum. Even if you are not very audio oriented, now after John has explained so much you will see some amazing amplifiers. And the page is very well done by the admin.

John, I am re-reading again the earlier posts in the thread and beginning to understand what actually you are talking about.
                      I have my suspicions and speculations about the other devices, which we saw on the right side of the circuit board in the video. But first I have to study a little more to see if I am right in my thinking and than probably ask you.
                      One thing that concerns me - are not we disclosing too much of the circuit before the conference ? I do not want to steal the excitement of some people who will attend it.

Thankful
                      Lman

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for the fast responses and especially to John Bedini, having in mind that he is so busy with the new S3A12 and preparing for the conference.

In my previous post as I mentioned about the implementation of S3A12, one of the ideas that came to my mind was to put it in series between the alternator and the accumulator, in order to keep the last properly charged. Now that John pointed out to the regulator in the alternator I think that this idea might not work in this case. I am not sure. As the S3A12 is tracking the impedance and controlling the charge, I assume that the regulator inside the alternator might not see the accumulator and not start supplying power. Or if it starts it would not sense how to control it and lead to braking the S3A12. Well, just and idea I wanted to share.
                        But we definitely must study the servo control as John has pointed out to it twice, and it is the key to the heart of how the charge is controlled.

Faraday88,
                        On your question about the John's Surround Sound I think his B.A.S.E technology is involved. But not only this as it is the whole concept of how John deals with sound. It is the whole chain from the source playing to your ears. Purest sound in - purest sound out plus something more, plus the emotions you get
                        I think I would open a thread in the audio section of the forum to share some thoughts in order not to deflect the direction of this one.

Later I will post another link to some very useful video that taught me a lot and I think should be posted here.

Lman
                        Hey Lman,
                        Your 'taste of likings' sounds very fascinating go ahead and start the new thread that you suggest looking forward to it..
                        Rgds,
                        Faraday88.

Comment

My Own Hybrid's

Lman,
                          Now you understand why it is so important to understand just basic circuits and how they function. As I have said before about that I make changes all the time with tracker 5's. That is one of the reasons I'm building my own Hybrid's then I have total control of the circuits. I can then apply more feedback to the circuits for control. I could then look at all states of the charge. One of the functions is not only load control but also light control as the sun dims you could increase current from the panels by using a band pass filter circuit as the panels have a peak in the color spectrum even on a cloudy day. you do not need a computer do any of this as it can all be done with analog devices. Solar units can be made by the novice by watching the video link you posted, I have checked his circuits some small changes must be made but it will charge the battery within limits of the device. He is not telling about beta matching so gain could be a problem. people do not want to do the research so things become mysterious, that could be further from the truth. No secretes with solar charging, it either charges or it doesn't.
                          John B

Hi John,

Seems I got it a little wrong about how the zener works, in my previous post. But than I remembered what I saw in the videos you, Peter L. and Aaron showed us.
                          After reading again more articles and having seen so many schematics, variations and examples, I started to connect the dots. I need to put one of those big heatsinks on my head, as the ICs inside will start to smoke. But it was worth it at the end. Now I think I understand much better what happens.
                          The zener and the base-emitter junction of the series-pass are interacting and forming a variable resistor, which based on the load impedance controls the current. Now I see the importance of the beta that must be calculated properly, and the voltage that feeds the input of the amplifier.
                          And the capacitor helps in two ways I think - it filters and helps stabilize the reference point.
                          Also makes me realize how beautiful devices those TO3 in the audio amp are.

I read also that this arrangement with the darlington and the capacitor to base is much more stable, and significantly reduces the quiescent/idling current down to miliamps, making it in some cases more effective than three pin device. Which tells me again two things :
                          - in the case of the charger the losses are reduced to almost nothing.
                          - in the case with the audio amplifier the efficiency is very very high and I see why most if not all of your amplifiers are Class A

I am trying to imagine the tube amplifier you mentioned that Eric Dollard built.

I highly recommend to all visitors of the forum to check the audio section of the forum. Even if you are not very audio oriented, now after John has explained so much you will see some amazing amplifiers. And the page is very well done by the admin.

John, I am re-reading again the earlier posts in the thread and beginning to understand what actually you are talking about.
                          I have my suspicions and speculations about the other devices, which we saw on the right side of the circuit board in the video. But first I have to study a little more to see if I am right in my thinking and than probably ask you.
                          One thing that concerns me - are not we disclosing too much of the circuit before the conference ? I do not want to steal the excitement of some people who will attend it.

Thankful
                          Lman
                          John Bedini
                          My homepage: http://johnbedini.net

Comment

Originally posted by John_Bedini View Post
                            Lman,
                            Now you understand why it is so important to understand just basic circuits and how they function. As I have said before about that I make changes all the time with tracker 5's. That is one of the reasons I'm building my own Hybrid's then I have total control of the circuits. I can then apply more feedback to the circuits for control. I could then look at all states of the charge. One of the functions is not only load control but also light control as the sun dims you could increase current from the panels by using a band pass filter circuit as the panels have a peak in the color spectrum even on a cloudy day. you do not need a computer do any of this as it can all be done with analog devices. Solar units can be made by the novice by watching the video link you posted, I have checked his circuits some small changes must be made but it will charge the battery within limits of the device. He is not telling about beta matching so gain could be a problem. people do not want to do the research so things become mysterious, that could be further from the truth. No secretes with solar charging, it either charges or it doesn't.
                            John B
                            Hi John, I really admire at the way you state things, especially your super strong hold on the Semiconductor devices and its Physics governing the way they behave, I have studied your earlier postings else where also and I just love to read the way you describe them, you have had the advantage of being from the age where Computers were controlled by man unlike most of us here who rely more on believing what is fed to us by way of internet, simulation...ect.. yes I'm cent percent in agreement with you when you say that people do not research...people think the internet has helped them in all the ways. Think again.. may be no.. all that is good is not good in all the way!!!
                            John on the other hand you are blessed to gift others with the best that you can and why not? this makes you the kind of guy that you are..
                            The next generation posses a more difficult challenge in that it needs to use the developing resources keeping in mind without getting deterred from its over use..
                            just my 2 cents for the gyaan on this stuff.
                            Best Regards,
                            Faraday88.

Comment

Yes John, I understand why the basics are so important. That is why I read from many sources as I learn, since some are not very well explained or not complete enough. And even if I think I know something I still go and read just to check different approaches for a solution to something. And the lesson I learned also is that we should stop looking at ICs with the name they gave them. I looked at a schematic of a voltage regulator and there are like 26 transistors inside, but that should not be a surprise as a CPU has in fact billions.
                              Now I am looking at an apple while thinking that this is just a short name for an oval shaped fruit stuffed with vitamins, minerals, some acids and whatever else. And that is why a rock is not just a rock for you.

Well, my head is spinning again from what you said about the light control. Another unique feature done in the typical for you amazingly simple and genial way. This feature reminds me of the people practicing "sun-eating", as they have to do it at exactly the same sun spectrum. Early morning at sunrise or at sunset when the sun is reddish. This way they charge the mitochondria in their body's cells and they do not need food. That in turn reminds me your words in EFTV2 where you say that we do not run on "that candy bar".

The only thing I knew so far about hi and low pass filters was that they are made out of inductors and capacitors, or resistors and capacitors. In the video with the SSG Linear Amplifier I noticed the small resistor along with the capacitor as you point to the zener that controls the circuit. But I associated it with audio filter as the circuit comes from the audio amplifier. Who would have thought it was related to light. It makes perfect sense to me though. Color is a frequency and it can be filtered.
                              I was thinking how do you switch between one and another spectrum, than and I read just enough to understand that this is also impedance dependent. As you said - no need computer for this or some complicated DSP

Totally agree about the research. Some people do not do or just do not do it enough. But also you are in your own league when it comes to versatile knowledge and experience.
                              This is the place to thank you again for your guidance and patience.

Thankfully
                              Lman

P.S.

Faraday88,
                              I do not know what fascinated you so much but I will tell you that my "taste of likings" turns to be also a torture for me. The musical training and education developed my hearing to one level, than doing sound it advanced on another level and nowadays I can hardly listen and enjoy music anymore. The crappy music and sound is overtook everything. But I stop here as this is not for this thread.

All the best
                              Last edited by Lman; 05-07-2014, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Hi Luman,

I'm on the contrary now very curious to know what led you so much towards getting Tortured???? please take your time and don't feel dejected.
                                be it another thread..
                                Rgds,
                                Faraday88.

Comment

Working...
                                X