Announcement

Collapse

2020 Energy Science & Technology Conference

Pre-Register for FREE for the 2020 Energy Science & Technology Conference.

Registration Form: http://energyscienceconference.com/r...ation/2020.php
Schedule: http://energyscienceconference.com/2...ence-schedule/
Presenter Bio/Talk Descriptions: http://energyscienceconference.com/2020-speakers/
See more
See less

Picaxe or adruino programming

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Picaxe or adruino programming

    Thought I would just put a shoutout here to see if anyone on this forum has experience with picaxe or arduino programming? may have some questions in the future, I am just learning about this as I am typing. some of the tutorials are pretty interesting. gonna see if I can make an led blink on and off! then its off to the solid state SG races.... I think I can get it eventually so the picaxe will tune to the load on the secondary.

    Tom C


    experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

  • #2
    something like that?
    Arduino Bedini Charger | Ronny Gey
    good to know, is how you get good analog readings..

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MrRonsen View Post
      something like that?
      Arduino Bedini Charger | Ronny Gey
      good to know, is how you get good analog readings..
      yes something like that....... I have a picaxe and all the stuff I need, so now I gotta dig in. I have no time!!
      Tom C


      experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

      Comment


      • #4
        Picaxe, my weapon of choice as well

        Comment


        • #5
          You don't need a Picaxe nor any micro to perform automatic charging & discharging on an SSG (etc) with data logging. You can do it much more simply using comparators, timers, relays & plugging your DMM with data logging function into the computer. These DMMs are very cheap to buy these days. You can also go "full analogue" & run everything off the primary battery. This might look complicated, but anyone can replicate it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Barrie Castle View Post
            You don't need a Picaxe nor any micro to perform automatic charging & discharging on an SSG (etc) with data logging. You can do it much more simply using comparators, timers, relays & plugging your DMM with data logging function into the computer. These DMMs are very cheap to buy these days. You can also go "full analogue" & run everything off the primary battery. This might look complicated, but anyone can replicate it.
            yea I understand that barrie, this is for pwm control of the coil, or for a tesla switch maybe. dunno will get to it when I can, I can think of 100 things to do with one.....


            Tom C


            experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MrRonsen View Post
              something like that?
              Arduino Bedini Charger | Ronny Gey
              good to know, is how you get good analog readings..
              MrRonsen,

              an interesting setup. I am about to begin experimenting with the SSG and i need an effective way to complete the 20runs. would you care to share the parts list and the code?

              sincerely,

              teej_seeker

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by teej_seeker View Post
                MrRonsen,

                an interesting setup. I am about to begin experimenting with the SSG and i need an effective way to complete the 20runs. would you care to share the parts list and the code?

                sincerely,

                teej_seeker

                i will write a step by step manual with pictures on my website...
                so you could copy-paste most of code fragments..
                and profit from experience,
                i needed a long time to get good stable usable analog readings..
                a problem everyone is facing when beginning...
                other thing is, protect your arduino equipment, never make readings when powercoil is active..
                so disconnect the trigger, powercoil is inactive,connect your arduino analog reading equipment, make your readings,
                save them on SD card with timestamp, disconnect your arduino analog reading equipment, and connect trigger again..
                powercoils will be active again.. and your arduino and sensor keep alive..
                make sure, you cannot add arduino analog reading equipment while trigger is active.. and visa vi..
                i use a clever wiring, combination of relays, so the protection is in hardware, no software error will destroy your equipment..
                relays steering with optocouplers,... in first version only reading one battery, the secondary.. in second version..
                you can add hardware and read the primary also...

                getting good data.. BUT it costs a lot of money! ... piece by piece.. a nice sum, but its worth to me, a hobby,

                Comment


                • #9
                  for analoge readings, i use this:

                  PDF breadboard connections/setup

                  arduino mega ref3, 12bit ADC MCP3208, 3.3 voltage regulator LM3940, Attopilot current voltage sensor 50V/90A

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    here the steps for the "arduino bedini controller"
                    mainmenu "Arduino" ...
                    deeper details later

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      PICAXE for dummies?

                      Hi all, the PICAXE is my weapon of choice for programmable IC's. I like it because it is easy to use and program and also a very good entry point if you are interested in this sort of thing. It's also pretty cheap if you want to start out. All you need to get started is the entry level PICAXE 08M and a few supporting parts, a breadboard and a serial cable. The software to program the chip can be downloaded for free.

                      Once you can get an LED to flash, you're on your way to developing much more advanced circuits which are only limited by your imagination. For example, I have used the PICAXE to run a solar charger which monitors solar panel voltages, battery voltages and can also display loads of information on an LCD. This was then coupled to another PICAXE based battery swapping unit.

                      If anyone is interested in learning how to start building PICAXE based circuits we can start a separate section on this forum. Please let me know if you are interested and we will do that.

                      John K.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        yo tom c i got an arduino uno and i have been wondering how i would output the pwm without grounding the arduino. there are six chanells does that mean i can use all of them to make a nice setup without a ground?? LET ME KNOW HOW THAT GOES FOR REAL.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                          Hi all, the PICAXE is my weapon of choice for programmable IC's. I like it because it is easy to use and program and also a very good entry point if you are interested in this sort of thing. It's also pretty cheap if you want to start out. All you need to get started is the entry level PICAXE 08M and a few supporting parts, a breadboard and a serial cable. The software to program the chip can be downloaded for free.

                          Once you can get an LED to flash, you're on your way to developing much more advanced circuits which are only limited by your imagination. For example, I have used the PICAXE to run a solar charger which monitors solar panel voltages, battery voltages and can also display loads of information on an LCD. This was then coupled to another PICAXE based battery swapping unit.

                          If anyone is interested in learning how to start building PICAXE based circuits we can start a separate section on this forum. Please let me know if you are interested and we will do that.

                          John K.
                          Hi John K,

                          I believe having an alternative hardware platform gives flexibility and choice to those who prefer this path to controlling circuits. Please do start a thread. I would really appreciate that.

                          Tejinder

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I just got one of the 8 circuit SSG's from r-charge working with an Arduino trigger.

                            Here are some pictures and a video:

                            https://s3.amazonaws.com/random.deka...Solid_State.7z

                            If you have any questions or want the circuit/code let me know.

                            It works really well so far. Going to test with a larger battery bank soon and 4 more SSG circuit boards and coils.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bluestix View Post
                              I just got one of the 8 circuit SSG's from r-charge working with an Arduino trigger.

                              Here are some pictures and a video:

                              https://s3.amazonaws.com/random.deka...Solid_State.7z

                              If you have any questions or want the circuit/code let me know.

                              It works really well so far. Going to test with a larger battery bank soon and 4 more SSG circuit boards and coils.
                              Bluestix, what program do you open this 64MB file with? It might be easier to post a couple of photos here and upload the video to YouTube.

                              John K.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X