No announcement yet.

The 3d Monopole Coil How To Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm happy with these "monopole coils" and the big magnets. Welding rod cores work great for awhile then magnetize. Had to go air core. I was experimenting with a gap in between the coils. I call it a gravity well. Although the coil ends repel each other when there are no magnets spinning above them, when wired the same way with the rotor spinning they attract each other. If I keep a gap there the rpm increases. The way I see it, it sets up a magnetic current in one direction. One coil inverts it's polarity to go with the flow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Notsure View Post
      I'm happy with these "monopole coils" and the big magnets. Welding rod cores work great for awhile then magnetize. Had to go air core. I was experimenting with a gap in between the coils. I call it a gravity well. Although the coil ends repel each other when there are no magnets spinning above them, when wired the same way with the rotor spinning they attract each other. If I keep a gap there the rpm increases. The way I see it, it sets up a magnetic current in one direction. One coil inverts it's polarity to go with the flow.
      Hi Notsure,
      Please post the sketch of your set up... quite interesting
      Rgds,
      Faraday88.
      'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

• I'll get some pictures up for you later. The main thing is this method can spin a heavy rotor with big magnets and still have torque with a low draw on the battery. Also it gives a fairly decent output if the positive and negative are switched at the same time. That is, having the coils paired together in series and wired on the ends, switching with a reed switch in the middle. Using a full bridge rectifier it gives a separate ground from the main battery. The reed switch is a big one and can handle quite a bit but I've burned up a lot of them this way too. I think it was more from the magnets, so I printed up another inner wheel with only two smaller magnets on it. So I can fire more switches in succession to the same coils instead of putting it all on one switch. I got it to work using a trigger coil and transistor, the trigger coil has to have a high impedance and it ran cold, but the output was real low. The reed switches give more heat to the coils. There is a lot going on magnetically in all directions. Even though the magnets are all one pole facing down, the opposite pole is between them. This is also true of the coils. I guess you could say it's more 3d.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	16 inch rotor2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	48829

Those 2 sets of coils set pretty much like that is all you need.
          Attached Files

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5201[/ATTACH]

Those 2 sets of coils set pretty much like that is all you need.
            Hi Notsure,
            that's a beauty!
            I'm still unclear on the orientation of your magnets. You note in an earlier post "magnets have poles vertical."
            can you describe that a little more clearly for me? I'm not exactly sure how vertical orients itself on your machine. Do you mean south is facing "down" toward the coils? and the magnets are 1/2" thick? how wide and long are they?

Thanks for sharing this by the way...
            Kind regards - Patrick

Comment

• Sorry about that, magnets are horizontal, poles are vertical. !/2" thick, 1 3/4" down to 1" taper width. 2" long. I bought them along time ago for a wind generator I never built. I heard they hassle you with code enforcement officers.

Comment

Sorry about that, magnets are horizontal, poles are vertical. !/2" thick, 1 3/4" down to 1" taper width. 2" long. I bought them along time ago for a wind generator I never built. I heard they hassle you with code enforcement officers.
                Nothing to be sorry for - thanks for sharing, many don't.
                Very nice!
                so is the FWBR connected like this?:

Click image for larger version

Name:	reed fwbr dual coil.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	48831
                Thanks again,
                Patrick

Comment

• Hi Notsure and Patrick (good to see you again Patrick)

I can't help thinking that we are looking at a version of the zero-force motor...am I correct?
                  Best Regards ~ James, Somewhere In Idaho

Comment

• Originally posted by min2oly View Post
                    Nothing to be sorry for - thanks for sharing, many don't.
                    Very nice!
                    so is the FWBR connected like this?:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5203[/ATTACH]
                    Thanks again,
                    Patrick
                    I don't know what FWBR is, but yeah, that's how I do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by James_Somewhere_In_Idaho View Post
                      Hi Notsure and Patrick (good to see you again Patrick)

I can't help thinking that we are looking at a version of the zero-force motor...am I correct?
                      You are correct sir. The timing isn't as critical with horizontal coils, especially if they are close together. I was interesting when I tried the horizontal trigger coil. It either had to be real close to the motor coil or have a lot of distance. When it was close it would only work if the magnets rotation was towards the motor coil first. The direction of current is everything, so it will tell you if it's wired wrong. literally, it squeals. So same direction of wind from the center out with paired coils.
                      Last edited by Notsure; 03-25-2016, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• Hi Notsure

I'm not really comfortable coming back on here and commenting, so I will forgo my usual long-windedness.

Back when everyone started going dark on here, Patrick was posting something he did, and I began to wonder what effect it would have as a driver for the zero-force motor. I have not gotten around to trying it out. Perhaps you might give it a go and report back.

Here is a link to Patrick's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41cfHcb7qd8

OK, I'll just slink back off to darkville...
                        Best Regards ~ James, Somewhere In Idaho

Comment

• Hi Notsure,

Originally posted by Notsure View Post
                          I don't know what FWBR is, but yeah, that's how I do it.
                          FWBR is the abbreviation for "full wave bridge rectifier".

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Hammond View Post
                            Hi Notsure,

FWBR is the abbreviation for "full wave bridge rectifier".
                            Thanks Gary, I should of thought of that with my brain.

Comment

• I was experimenting with different trigger systems for the wheel. I was using a reed switch and got it spinning real fast. The spark gap was purple color. Anyway, I noticed a magnetic compass that was laying on the bench, the needle had deflected and started bobbing up and down. It was sitting far enough away that it's not effected by the magnets at slow speed or stationary. At a certain speed a magnetic wave is propagated I think.

Comment

• I haven't spent a lot of time on it but it is really hard to reproduce the effect. I come close, nothing happens for awhile then the needle will start bouncing and swaying. I don't know what I'm doing is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X