No announcement yet.

Plasma Ignition | Plasma Jet Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I also tried new diode string both directions. No spark while connected to diodes.

Comment

• Tried it again just now after 2 days of not messing with it. Got strong plasma for about 10 seconds then nothing at all. No sparking at all with diodes connected. ????

Comment

• Would having all plugs connected to each other cause damage to anything?

Comment

• The only think I can think of right now is - does your ignition coil have a single output or is it like a wasted spark ignition with multiple output terminals one for each plug going to different sides of the engine? If so, most of those have one polarity on one side and the opposite polarity on the other so on the opposite side would need another diode string in the opposite direction.
          Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

• Coil is single output. On the first attempt I had each cylinder firing with plasma one at a time. I think I will check all connections and grounds then take MSD cdi apart and check capacitor.

Comment

• This is so frustrating. I bought a new street fire cdi and still no plasma. Now I am hand triggering it with only one diode (still car connected). I get cdi sparks. It will even spark through the diode to a ground point but when connected to + LV of coil and orange wire of cdi it does nothing.

Comment

• Could my diodes be bad? Would connecting them backward ruin them?

Comment

• What is resistance of each plug? If all same kind of plug should be pretty close. Highly unlikely but if one or more are way higher, then that can cancel the plasma effect.

Sounds like bad diodes and MSD should be fine.

I'd try to get it running with good diodes again and make sure that you get it to work on one plug. If so, then disconnect and put on another plug and so on to see if you can get the effect on each plug.

If so, then it should work on each plug since each plug only fires one time at a time.
                  Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

• OK, I removed the MSD cdi and the coil from my car. Then I did a bench test with these and got plasma. So, now I need to know what is wrong with my car. Remember I (wrongly) connected all sparkplugs together at their tops and tried to start it. This mistake has messed something up. My car still runs, but not as well. Can anyone give me an idea?

Comment

• Originally posted by bradford View Post
                      OK, I removed the MSD cdi and the coil from my car. Then I did a bench test with these and got plasma. So, now I need to know what is wrong with my car. Remember I (wrongly) connected all sparkplugs together at their tops and tried to start it. This mistake has messed something up. My car still runs, but not as well. Can anyone give me an idea?
                      Bradford,

Do you have a distributor? You might consider swapping the cover to see if that gives problems, it might. Please also measure resistance on your cables to see if they are all OK. Does the car run perfect without the diodes?

Comment

• Thanks everyone. Found the problem. My rubber hose insulators were insufficient. Replaced them and have plasma again.

Comment

• Which sparkplug end is more efficient at gasoline ignition with plasma? A single ground point as a normal plug or a plug with the ground removed (circular fire pattern)? With the single ground there is a crisp snap. With it removed the snap is less crisp and spread out.

Comment

• plug ground geometry

The surface gap plugs work well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mDakC5rkSjxu7Ak7oSpKHOQ.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	46143

If you want to use a ground strap, you can always cut it back so the full face of the HV electrode is exposed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NGK5bforSubaftercut2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	46144
                            Aaron Murakami

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
                              The surface gap plugs work well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3259[/ATTACH]

If you want to use a ground strap, you can always cut it back so the full face of the HV electrode is exposed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3260[/ATTACH]

With regard to the plugs, I have done some testing on the bench before I move it to the RV. I have used a NGK BP5FS and a D8EA with strap and the other cut off , different heat ranges. Setup with an MSD 6A with MSD cables and 10 1N5408 diodes in series. Ok if you let this run on the bench for two hours at a high frequency, single discharge, the new spark plugs show severe eating of the positve electrode. This was with both plugs and I will make some picures for you. This test isd comparable with about 10hrs hours of driving.

I really wonder if there are people who have done extensive driving with the plasma setup. If so I'd love to hear how their plugs looked after 2000 or 10000 miles if they made it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Floris View Post
                                With regard to the plugs, I have done some testing on the bench before I move it to the RV. I have used a NGK BP5FS and a D8EA with strap and the other cut off , different heat ranges. Setup with an MSD 6A with MSD cables and 10 1N5408 diodes in series. Ok if you let this run on the bench for two hours at a high frequency, single discharge, the new spark plugs show severe eating of the positve electrode. This was with both plugs and I will make some picures for you. This test isd comparable with about 10hrs hours of driving.

I really wonder if there are people who have done extensive driving with the plasma setup. If so I'd love to hear how their plugs looked after 2000 or 10000 miles if they made it.
                                The plugs have always been an issue - needs to be tungsten on both electrodes.

Some plugs last longer than others but can last a lot longer than 2 hours. One partner tested some that lasted a several thousand miles.

You say "single discharge" - can you set your MSD to single discharge instead of multi? I need that option for something else and am having a hard time finding a regular CDI with single discharge.
                                Aaron Murakami

Comment

Working...
                                X