Plasma Ignition | Plasma Jet Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Murakami Plasma Jet Ignition video 85 Subaru

Here's the short video clip of the Plasma Jet Igniton on my 85 Subaru Gl. Test plug is Champion non-resistor. Kinda grainy video quality, but a good idea of it running on the Subie.

Engine loves it, a few anomolies to suss out. Lots of RFI noise I think, at least on car's radio. I don't care about that, long as noise doesn't mess anything else up.

subadude

Comment

Hi Aaron,

I would like to know if your system would work with Coil On Plug system? I have a corolla 1.8 with 1ZZFE engine. MSD doesn't stock cdi units for coil on plug systems. Would it be possible to use plasma on coil on plug setups?

Comment

Very Well Done SUBADUDE!!!

To SOLVE RF noise: to eliminate up to 95% of the RF disturbance, it recommends WIRE MESH BRAIDING over the spark plug leads, and grounding them (to engine?/chassis?) - found this info previously on the jet ignition web for the A&P SmarkAmp products of Aaron and Peter.

Aaron would definitely be able to advise you about if both Hv & Lv each needs to be individually "RF isolated" with the braiding, or only the Hv, or if one braiding over both the Hv & Lv leads would do.

(my "over-killed" suggestion would've been to (1) put braiding over the existing sleeved Hv lead and also over the existing sleeved Lv lead (so they do not cross-influence one another "internally"), then (2) sleeving over each so their individual braiding are isolated from one another, and then (3) braided the two leads together, and then (4) the last outside sleaving (for shielding off the external environment RF influence).

But - Very Well Done again!

Comment

Braiding on leads?

Well thanks, Mr Coetzee! (subadude takes a bow).

Ya know I wondered about doing that after talking w/ Energyrikard...I looked around the Net and found different suppliers of braiding, wide variety of stuff available. I may contact Josh Lee over at Silver State Wire and Cable and see if he's got something. I could braid my hair stuff it in my ears, but I don't have much to work with...LOL!
          It's not much of a vid I posted, but difference is there to see. Not a Big Bad-boy dischrge, but it would be nice to get some life from the Torquemaster plugs. Extreme Spark has a youtube video of the Torquemaster plugs, Danny shows w/ a MSD spark, then w/ Plasma Jet spark. Very Impressive IMHO. That vid helped me pick those plugs. Danny claims up to 200K Miles life for those and 25% of that for w/ Plasma, we'll see...

Have had some anomolies w/ the Plasma spark in car's operation. It DOES run better/different than ever before. First part of install I did only one side of motor, 2 plug wire/diode block setups for 2 cyl's. During test drive engine bucked and ECM light lit as bucking occured. Came back looked around then moved the 2 diode block wires to the 2 plug wires, away from some factory wire loom. Problem quieted right down. Finished other 2 cyl's on 2 successive evenings. Had the shift light stay on all the time during couple drives the other day, has not recurred. At times it feels like a lean surge on the freeway, that comes/goes sorta randomly.I'm wondering if I might have carbon/crap blew down into cat. converter causing partial blockage, from combust. chambers cleaning out? Those cats (2) are OEM over 200K mi. on 'em. Has me guessing--might try backing initial timing off 2-3 degrees see what happens. Lots of radio noise between stations, don't mind that.

But low end low RPM torque is much better. Believe me ya feel ANY improvement in this car, it was always pretty underpowered. I've wondered that this ignition mod has made a radical change much more than I've EVER seen on any engine before. Done my share of Tune ups before...

And I would point out Aaron was right in another way--the voltmeter isn't showing really any more load on charging system than before the Plasma. So if ya are willing to jump thru the hoops to get this, I bet ya will dig It!! Yahoo Plasmaaa!

Comment

Dioide block stuff for Plasma Jet Ignition

Ok here's some pics/info 'bout how I did the diode Blocks/wires on my Subaru.

I found auction on ebay for "Ham diode HV" after Aaron gave clue to look for those as diode solution. I picked 2A 30 KV ones. They came w/o screws for end terminals. Found M5 stainless screws at home depot and cut little pieces copper tubing for crush spacers to take up extra screw legnth. Other auctions included screws, BTW. Thin 22 Gau. (Ithink it is) green hi temp insulated wire from Silver State Wire goes to end of block that diode arrow symbol points at, to coil + primary side. Blocks are wired daisy-chain together then to coil+.

30KV white silicone wire (ebay) goes to other end of blocks. I used the black industrial shrink tubing from Silver State over full legnth of these wires for xtra protection, just my idea. These are the wires that connect into the plug term. of plug wires.

I found some yellow Goodyear industrial hi pressure water hose at an industrial rubber/hose supply house. got 2 ft., cut to 3 inch pieces to act as cushion & sheilding for ends of blocks, attached to blocks w/ zip ties. I put vinyl vacuum caps on ends of the screws on blocks for insulation. Different stuff, seems to work so far. Click image for larger version

Name:	Granetelli plug wires 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	45586Click image for larger version

Name:	Granetelli plug wires 002.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	45587Click image for larger version

Name:	Granetelli plug wires 003.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	45588

Anyhow hope this helps someone else out there! subadude

Comment

that's nice. do you have an external source (inverter) in your plasma ignition circuit? where do you connect your HV diodes from? I have a running plasma ignition in my carbureted CDI car but i use homemade inverter to charge the caps connected to HV diodes (i have 3 arrays of HV diodes, each array is connected to the sparkplug boot). can you share your plasma ignition diagram? I tried connecting each array of HV diodes from the + of ignition coil but it didn't work. thanks for your ideas.

Comment

Fryin?g Car Components

Originally posted by akosiwilly View Post
                that's nice. do you have an external source (inverter) in your plasma ignition circuit? where do you connect your HV diodes from? I have a running plasma ignition in my carbureted CDI car but i use homemade inverter to charge the caps connected to HV diodes (i have 3 arrays of HV diodes, each array is connected to the sparkplug boot). can you share your plasma ignition diagram? I tried connecting each array of HV diodes from the + of ignition coil but it didn't work. thanks for your ideas.
                Hi Guys,
                I have read that if you do this kind of installation that the excess RF from using the solid non-resistor wires and plugs and high voltage will fry car computers and other components and raise havoc with other electronic components that run the car? Has anyone had this kind of problem?
                Because I SURE don't want to start replacing ECU's and other s--t!

Comments will be greatly appreciated!
                Thanks,
                Ron

Comment

I see the other posts but will answer those later.

For the RF, some people have the problem depending on their car.

A solution patented by Granatelli who makes non-resistor cables is to put a ferrite filter on the cable near the coil.
                  Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

RFI Noise suppression for Plasma?

Yeah, Aaron, I noticed the ferrite ring on the Granatelli's when I was searching for wires. Major reason I picked 'em, and the plug terminal stuff was a serendipity.

I've wondered about using similar ferrite pieces for other areas of this mod, like over the wires connecting diode blocks to plug wires. But I lack expertise to know any more of this. I also searched for braided sheathing for these same wires, the white silicone insulated ones w/ the heat shrink tubing.

Josh Lee over at Silver State Wire and Cable said he has a few versions of braided sheathing, I plan on looking him up to see what he's got. If that works out I'll post on it.

If anybody can add info 'bout dealing w/ RFI interference, that would be Great!

Thanks, subadude.

Comment

• Akosiwilly, no I built/crafted as per Aaron's instructions on this thread and Ignition Secrets info. I use an MSD streetfire 5520 CDI box, and diode blocks are connected on one end all together to one wire that goes to coil primary + terminal. Other end each block to each plug wire tied in at plug terminal. No extra inverter/ separate power source. I just tried to follow what Aaron laid out. I'm not yet remotely electronically savvy enuf to try anything else. Might be an advange (to me LOL).

BTW discovered I DID have a lean surge. Have a cheapo Press. regulater on fuel line to carb, was at 1.5 pounds, increased to 3. LEan surge pretty much gone. Tried retarding timing to just 6 deg. initial, lost power, re-set to between 9-10 initial, runs fantastic now!

subadude

Comment

• subadude. i.m using a stock CDI for my 3 cyclinder car equipped with negative ground alternator. i actually did what you did by connecting one end of 3 arrays of diodes (25 pcs in each array- each diode is rated 6amps ) all together to one wire that goes to coil primary + terminal. the Other end of each array/block to each plug wire tied in at plug terminal. unfortunately i got no plasma spark. what i did instead was connect the other end to my plasma circuit with 10uf 400v charging cap and 2.2 uf booster cap. this circuit is powered by an inverter. what i want understand is how were you able to produce plasma spark with that simple connections. do you think using an MSD instead of a stock CDI made a difference? (sorry for my English, i am from Philippines).

thanks.

Comment

• Yeah akosiwilly, I think the 5520 MSD Streetfire or similar is required. what car uses a CDI as stock ignition? I thought CDI was aftermarket only. Maybe you could do a conversion to the 5520? I got mine from Amazon for about $120.00. My car stock is just magnetic trigger electronic ignition, nuttin' fancy.

That made my car very adaptable. Adapted it is!
                          First question re: yours ,is--
                          what type triggering is yours? Magnetic, optical, Hall effect, or? that's first question to answer. Does it use a distributor?

Cheers!

Subadude

i

Comment

• hi subadude. i don't any idea about the type of CDI my car has. but it has a distributor. inside that distributor is the CDI. this CDI discharges about 350 to 400 volts in the ignition coil. Sorry i don't have the manual of my car. It's actually a suzuki every van made in ***an with 660cc engine. In my present setup using an external power source (inverter) works good in my plasma ignition. The only problem i have is that the sparkplug electrode corrodes easily. I'm using bosch resistorless sparkplug with copper electrode. i introduced water injection system via high vacuum line just using plain bubbler. I used to have a ultrasonic transducer water vaporizer in placed instead of bubbler. but this vaporizer injects more water in the intake manifold and it's not good for my car. having this water injector really improves the performance of my car.

Comment

• Your Very Welcome!

Comment

• Originally posted by BroMikey
                                This paper is my theory as to how an internal combustion engine can be run on only water vapor or only on air.
                                Thomas, the engine could even run on just air - you might enjoy seeing the work by Andreyev on Authothermia. Probably needs its own thread.
                                Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

Working...
                                X