Announcement

Collapse

2020 Energy Science & Technology Conference

Pre-Register for FREE for the 2020 Energy Science & Technology Conference.

Registration Form: http://energyscienceconference.com/r...ation/2020.php
Schedule: http://energyscienceconference.com/2...ence-schedule/
Presenter Bio/Talk Descriptions: http://energyscienceconference.com/2020-speakers/
See more
See less

Plasma Ignition | Plasma Jet Ignition

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
    That pencil method is really only to check the polarity of the coil. Once polarity is known, then you know what direction to place the diodes.
    Hi Aaron,

    what is the electrode to the right...it looks like the Spark plug cord..but then do you intend to show Silent-Discharge happening (and not actual Spark-Discharge)...can one of post a real photo of the test running..that would be more convincing i guess..
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.
    'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
      Word of Caution... !!! DO NOT CHECK THE DIODES THE WAY YOU HAVE SHOWN..THEY WILL FAIL FOR SURE..A SOLID STATE DEVICE IN SERIES WITH A SPARK GAP IS UNDER MOST STRESS AND WILL PUNCTURE THE DEPLETION LAYER CAPACITANCE DESTROYING IT..
      Rgds,
      Faraday88.
      Faraday88, thank you for the advice. Maybe the diodes failed also during testing for spark with a bad ground instead of the polarity issue. Will find out soon.
      Aaron thank you for your polarity advice.

      Have fun with experimenting....
      Nosce te Ipsum

      My Setup:
      Jeep Wagoneer V8 5.9L (360) 1979
      Standard Motorcraft 2150 2bbl carb
      Main jets size #55 stock
      Eagle Research Carb Enhancer
      Water and HHO injection with Aquatune HB plus
      MSD CDI 5520 street fire
      NGK spark plugs BP7ES(non-resistor) with sidegapping and 1.5mm gap
      Flametrower III canister ignition coil
      8x 20KV 2A PRHVP2A-20 High Voltage Rectifier Diode
      Granatelli Zero resistor spark plug wires

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Co-Creator View Post
        the V8 was made to take some gas. Indeed, but its also the best motor to tune for 100 or 200 miles per gallon Check http://fuel-efficient-vehicles.org/e...s/?page_id=787 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqKEQLBg6a8
        I love and encourage your optimism, Co-Creator! Please continue to keep us posted on your progress...I'm hoping to see you break 60MPG (You're in Europe, yes? are you doing the conversion using standard Imperial gallons or US gallons? there's is quite a big difference...those of us here in North America generally use the 3.78 litre US gallon rather than the 4.5 litre Imperial, which results in higher ratings. Personally, I'd prefer to see a km/L or L/100km number agreed to globally...) once you get your diode issue resolved.

        Comment


        • Hello UPDATE guys

          Today i checked the total setup of the plasma system and replaced the broken diodes with new ones(20kv2A)
          What have i learned? DO NOT PLACE THE DIODES HV sides to close to each other. I placed all my diodes to close and sometimes the spark will jump to the neighbour diode breaking it!!!

          Today i made a test drive, here are my findings:
          She's running very smooth and starts direct.
          The diodes held good after 50km so thats stable for me now( placed the diodes with 2cm gap from each other and isolated the HV side very good)
          With the standard MSD spark, sometimes i had misfires, now not one.
          I could bring back my timing more to TDC.
          Wihout the Plasma and the lean jets #47 the car didn,t accelarate good, now its much better
          At idle now, she's very stable and in the car you almost can't hear the engine.

          For now i am very pleased with the result. Now comes the fun and hard part, to find the optinum balance of plasma, HHO with Water and Gas...
          When i find it, i will record the mileage.

          --------------------------
          My Setup:
          Jeep Wagoneer V8 5.9L (360) 1979
          Standard Motorcraft 2150 2bbl carb
          Reduced main jets size to #47 instead of #55
          Water and HHO injection with Aquatune HB plus
          MSD CDI 5520 street fire
          NGK spark plugs BP7ES(non-resistor) with sidegapping and 1.5mm gap
          Standard canister ignition coil (Flametrower III orderd)
          8x 20KV 2A PRHVP2A-20 High Voltage Rectifier Diode
          Zero resistor spark plug wires. Wire copper core with silicone isolation
          Nosce te Ipsum

          My Setup:
          Jeep Wagoneer V8 5.9L (360) 1979
          Standard Motorcraft 2150 2bbl carb
          Main jets size #55 stock
          Eagle Research Carb Enhancer
          Water and HHO injection with Aquatune HB plus
          MSD CDI 5520 street fire
          NGK spark plugs BP7ES(non-resistor) with sidegapping and 1.5mm gap
          Flametrower III canister ignition coil
          8x 20KV 2A PRHVP2A-20 High Voltage Rectifier Diode
          Granatelli Zero resistor spark plug wires

          Comment


          • For your carburetor, I'd recommend this:

            http://www.eagle-research.com/cms/st...-third-edition

            I also just got the kit from George. You can make it yourself with cheap parts based on what the book tells you but I like to support him.

            http://www.eagle-research.com/cms/st...ncer-basic-kit

            I'm putting that on my Weber when I get a chance.

            This is not an alternative to lean jets, etc... it's a brilliant concept.





            Originally posted by Co-Creator View Post
            Hello UPDATE guys

            Today i checked the total setup of the plasma system and replaced the broken diodes with new ones(20kv2A)
            What have i learned? DO NOT PLACE THE DIODES HV sides to close to each other. I placed all my diodes to close and sometimes the spark will jump to the neighbour diode breaking it!!!

            Today i made a test drive, here are my findings:
            She's running very smooth and starts direct.
            The diodes held good after 50km so thats stable for me now( placed the diodes with 2cm gap from each other and isolated the HV side very good)
            With the standard MSD spark, sometimes i had misfires, now not one.
            I could bring back my timing more to TDC.
            Wihout the Plasma and the lean jets #47 the car didn,t accelarate good, now its much better
            At idle now, she's very stable and in the car you almost can't hear the engine.

            For now i am very pleased with the result. Now comes the fun and hard part, to find the optinum balance of plasma, HHO with Water and Gas...
            When i find it, i will record the mileage.

            --------------------------
            My Setup:
            Jeep Wagoneer V8 5.9L (360) 1979
            Standard Motorcraft 2150 2bbl carb
            Reduced main jets size to #47 instead of #55
            Water and HHO injection with Aquatune HB plus
            MSD CDI 5520 street fire
            NGK spark plugs BP7ES(non-resistor) with sidegapping and 1.5mm gap
            Standard canister ignition coil (Flametrower III orderd)
            8x 20KV 2A PRHVP2A-20 High Voltage Rectifier Diode
            Zero resistor spark plug wires. Wire copper core with silicone isolation
            Aaron Murakami





            You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

            Comment


            • I'll second Aaron's suggestion on the Eagle Research options...
              Now with a superb ignition you can REALLY start to dig in to make this engine outrageously efficient...but you also have to start looking at reducing/eliminating systemic parasitic losses.
              If they exist, you can probably go with another jet reduction. (if #47 is lbs per hour, that's almost 8 US gallons...30 Litres!)
              Do the Idle Limbo - How low can you go? (this means maximizing vacuum)(big coil will help with this)
              Keep going!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
                For your carburetor, I'd recommend this:

                http://www.eagle-research.com/cms/st...-third-edition

                I also just got the kit from George. You can make it yourself with cheap parts based on what the book tells you but I like to support him.

                http://www.eagle-research.com/cms/st...ncer-basic-kit

                I'm putting that on my Weber when I get a chance.

                This is not an alternative to lean jets, etc... it's a brilliant concept.
                Hello Aaron, THANKS for the tip, its beautiful. I ve studied it and put it on my carb. It works! She's running even more smoother
                What i noticed, the motor runs best when the valve on the enhancer is full open connected to manifold vac.

                I was also thinking, since much people have good results with creating Vortex flows in the intake or exhaust, i will make a simple device to create a vortex in my 1.21" carb venturies( simple with some zinc and bending 45 degrees)
                Last edited by Co-Creator; 11-18-2016, 03:04 AM.
                Nosce te Ipsum

                My Setup:
                Jeep Wagoneer V8 5.9L (360) 1979
                Standard Motorcraft 2150 2bbl carb
                Main jets size #55 stock
                Eagle Research Carb Enhancer
                Water and HHO injection with Aquatune HB plus
                MSD CDI 5520 street fire
                NGK spark plugs BP7ES(non-resistor) with sidegapping and 1.5mm gap
                Flametrower III canister ignition coil
                8x 20KV 2A PRHVP2A-20 High Voltage Rectifier Diode
                Granatelli Zero resistor spark plug wires

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Co-Creator View Post
                  I was also thinking, since much people have good results with creating Vortex flows in the intake or exhaust, i will make a simple device to create a vortex in my 1.21" carb venturies( simple with some zinc and bending 45 degrees)
                  At this point, you may want to spend some time on the forums at gadgetmangroove.com
                  That's what they're all about, intake vortices for better/more efficient combustion. TracyG is very well acquainted with Weber Carbs.

                  Comment


                  • Hello Heysoundude, i have a groove made, not very much gain.

                    The most gains can be realised with this FREE book of WISEMAN, its very intresting, you learn a lot stuff, for example the burn speed. Then you understand that NO liquid gasoline
                    can burn in 7ms only vapor of that liquid, so almost 70% is wasted. Here a link with much more information http://www.eagle-research.com/cms/st...ranteed-part-1
                    Nosce te Ipsum

                    My Setup:
                    Jeep Wagoneer V8 5.9L (360) 1979
                    Standard Motorcraft 2150 2bbl carb
                    Main jets size #55 stock
                    Eagle Research Carb Enhancer
                    Water and HHO injection with Aquatune HB plus
                    MSD CDI 5520 street fire
                    NGK spark plugs BP7ES(non-resistor) with sidegapping and 1.5mm gap
                    Flametrower III canister ignition coil
                    8x 20KV 2A PRHVP2A-20 High Voltage Rectifier Diode
                    Granatelli Zero resistor spark plug wires

                    Comment


                    • If you didn't see at least a 30% improvement in mileage/fuel consumption after applying the Gadgetman Groove, something is not right. Check in at that forum's website for some troubleshooting assistance.
                      Yes, I have that Wiseman download as well...As I recall, it was pretty focused on Carbureted engines; unfortunately, there are 3 fuel injected cars in my driveway/garage that can't benefit...like the a large and increasing portion of the running fleet on the planet.

                      Comment


                      • I did a groove on my 1992 EFI accord, done by the gadgetman himself at a conference. I had a perfect test bed, I knew exactly my mileage from Portland to hayden. all highway miles. drove the exact same route both ways. had no tailwind coming to hayden and a 30 MPh headwind going back.

                        mileage was exactly the same both ways. that tells me it was doing something. however in city driving with the same car I noticed no improvement in mileage AT all, from before the trip to after. this is city driving not highway. I purchased a stock throttle body from the Junk yard, rebuilt it and put all new sensors on it to see if things would go up or down, no difference between a new one and the gadgetman groove for city driving. If I was doing a lot of highway I would have put the grooved throttle body back on.



                        Tom C


                        experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by heysoundude View Post
                          If you didn't see at least a 30% improvement in mileage/fuel consumption after applying the Gadgetman Groove, something is not right. Check in at that forum's website for some troubleshooting assistance.
                          Yes, I have that Wiseman download as well...As I recall, it was pretty focused on Carbureted engines; unfortunately, there are 3 fuel injected cars in my driveway/garage that can't benefit...like the a large and increasing portion of the running fleet on the planet.
                          One of Ron's main guys came to my place in Spokane to help me get results with the groove on my subaru. He put a restrictor in my idle air intake tube. Pain in the butt because when it was cold, I had to keep reving it up so it wouldn't die.

                          I can tell a quicker throttle response though and I seemed to be getting some gains then over time, that all went away when the computer brought everything back to normal.

                          For my gas generator, the groove and everything else will not do anything as long as it has a fixed jet - because as long as the same air is moving over that venturi, the same fuel will get pulled into the air flow defeating the entire purpose.

                          Until I have some kind of fully adjustable carb on my generator so I can do 50% load tests with metered amounts of gas, the jury is still out as to whether it will do anything. 30%? I know the claims, but have not witnessed anything close to that.
                          Aaron Murakami





                          You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

                          Comment


                          • I bet it would work quite well on that Datsun Truck.
                            That guy Ron sent didn't do a proper job if you're having cold start/idle issues. Idle may be set too low, or there's too much restriction to the IAC. (this was before or after Plasma Ignition?)
                            You need to re-school the computer on yours, after you sort out why it has defaulted to factory baseline. Same thing happens on mine; I suspect a funky voltage regulator, but it may be the belt tensioner. I've also suspected the computer gets freaked out by how close to adjustment limits it gets (or surpasses them), which would indicate a need to replace the factory computer; that's something for those truly committed to efficiency/conservation.
                            I've gotten better than 50% gains on mine.

                            An adjustable carb with a mixture control, like on aircraft? http://www.experimentalaircraft.info...carburetor.php Why not? The Subie's boxer engine shares a lot of similarities with the Lycoming and Continental horizontally opposed engines...

                            Comment


                            • Hello Aaron,

                              How is your project going? Mine is on hold for now, its to cool here in Holland, since i do my project outside.

                              I was looking at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3x_kYq3mHM Supercaps as car starter. I have a question:

                              I have bought 6x 2,7V 500F caps from banggoods. Do you think if i put the caps in parellel with my car battery, there is an improvement for the MSD 5520 CDI?
                              I have read somewhere that the internal resistance of a car battery is around 5 ohms. If i put the caps on it, the CDI has fast power at will

                              Cheers!
                              Nosce te Ipsum

                              My Setup:
                              Jeep Wagoneer V8 5.9L (360) 1979
                              Standard Motorcraft 2150 2bbl carb
                              Main jets size #55 stock
                              Eagle Research Carb Enhancer
                              Water and HHO injection with Aquatune HB plus
                              MSD CDI 5520 street fire
                              NGK spark plugs BP7ES(non-resistor) with sidegapping and 1.5mm gap
                              Flametrower III canister ignition coil
                              8x 20KV 2A PRHVP2A-20 High Voltage Rectifier Diode
                              Granatelli Zero resistor spark plug wires

                              Comment


                              • caps on batt

                                Originally posted by Co-Creator View Post
                                Hello Aaron,

                                How is your project going? Mine is on hold for now, its to cool here in Holland, since i do my project outside.

                                I was looking at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3x_kYq3mHM Supercaps as car starter. I have a question:

                                I have bought 6x 2,7V 500F caps from banggoods. Do you think if i put the caps in parellel with my car battery, there is an improvement for the MSD 5520 CDI?
                                I have read somewhere that the internal resistance of a car battery is around 5 ohms. If i put the caps on it, the CDI has fast power at will

                                Cheers!
                                We've been getting into the single negative F here so it is on pause. I have received my final brake parts and my drive shaft bushing finally so will be able to finish the priority repairs. As soon as the road is dry again, I can drive it into my garage and get some work done.

                                5 ohms sounds like a lot. Flooded cells are really low - not as low as lithium but still low. Not sure about the caps in parallel with your battery. In concept is seems like it should work but can't say.
                                Aaron Murakami





                                You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X