No announcement yet.

Plasma Ignition | Plasma Jet Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you very much Aaron. Now I finally understand what waste spark is. I never really understood it before. Thank you.
    I would love to learn how to make the special circuit and then buy the parts, so it can happen.
    If there are places I could buy this circuit I would love to hear about it as well.

So far in my research I have understood that just the plasma ignition and water injection can be enough to reach my goal.
    I found this webpage and wonder if that would be a good way to inject water and HHO. I am also understand that I might not need the HHO.
    http://www.aquatune.com/motorcycle_order.php

I also wonder if this cold mist humidifier could do the job. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crane-Cool...ifier/10750083

Thank you very much.

Comment

• http://youtu.be/Tjt67RFgREk

Here is a video showing nebulized water over a plasma spark plug.
      How do I go from here with the booster caps and diodes?
      Thank you very much.
      Last edited by ThankyouBedini; 10-29-2014, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• Ok, cool - you can actually embed youtube vids by using the little film icon in the post editor and putting in the youtube link:

You just put the caps across the plug in parallel with it's own HV diode... has to be pointed in the right direction depending on HV polarity.

Can you post a diagram of that setup?
        Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

• For my wasted spark ignition project, I'm ordering a new coil to do some tests. I have a solution, a bit cumbersome, but until a special coil is built from scratch to my specs, I have to work around it.

I also have the Street Fire module sent to me for testing - I'll see if I can get it to work. Interesting to see the cap it uses. WIMA 1uf and supposed to be 435v.

Virtually identical to this but at the 400 volt range.

Click image for larger version

Name:	original-new-100-Germany-WIMA-red-Weima-MKP4-polypropylene-film-capacitor-1uf-630V-105-100N-pitc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	46659

So if I build my own CDI circuits, I'll be using that kind since MSD would have put these through some serious tests and they don't cost very much.
          Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
            Ok, cool - you can actually embed youtube vids by using the little film icon in the post editor and putting in the youtube link:

You just put the caps across the plug in parallel with it's own HV diode... has to be pointed in the right direction depending on HV polarity.

Can you post a diagram of that setup?

Here is my simple diagram.

Name:	20141029_224346.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	46660
            I hope you can understand it! Witch way do I to put the diode string?
            Once I got the diode string sorted out, then I will be ready to add capacitance. I have seen on earlier posts that caps with low uf (2.2 uf) have been used.
            Will it work with lets say 4 of my 270 uf 330 volt photo flash capacitors in paralell (or series?) charged to 170 volt? I understand that the higher the uf the more time it will take to fill the caps.
            Thank you very much.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThankyouBedini View Post
              Here is my simple diagram.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]4013[/ATTACH]
              I hope you can understand it! Witch way do I to put the diode string?
              Once I got the diode string sorted out, then I will be ready to add capacitance. I have seen on earlier posts that caps with low uf (2.2 uf) have been used.
              Will it work with lets say 4 of my 270 uf 330 volt photo flash capacitors in paralell (or series?) charged to 170 volt? I understand that the higher the uf the more time it will take to fill the caps.
              Thank you very much.

Name:	booster.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	46661

I would test that with just 1 small cap first - you want to match the diode direction with that is coming from coil primary.

Yes, you can use all 4 caps - parallel or series shouldn't matter. If you put them all in parallel, you'll have over 1000uf at 330v so charged to 170v is still a punch. Charging from the wall should be pretty quick even that that capacitance.

Just start small and build up. Use sunglasses and hearing protection. I'm serious.
              Aaron Murakami

Comment

• This is a video showing boostercaps and the diode string. I am not sure about the direction for the diode string.

Comment

• Diode string direction.
                  If I put all the diodes the same way, would that not lead to a straight path of cap dump into the MDS? I am afraid of frying the MDS.

Comment

I also wonder if this cold mist humidifier could do the job. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crane-Cool...ifier/10750083
                    I just picked up one of these:
                    http://www.kaz.com/kaz/humidifiers/p...ifier-vul520w/ They are available at K-Mart.

It puts out a fairly healthy jet of cool mist, with enough pressure to force it through a short piece of tubing. Draws less than 20 watts. It appears to be somewhat more efficient at generating mist than the shiny puck shaped fog makers. We shall see how it plays....

Comment

Diode string direction.
                      If I put all the diodes the same way, would that not lead to a straight path of cap dump into the MDS? I am afraid of frying the MDS.

Name:	booster cap.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	46672
                      I have tried and tried, but not been able to get the booster cap discharge.
                      The diagram on the right will not discharge the capacitor. I have tried with photoflash caps 270 uf, 330 v charged to 170 volts. Run caps 5 uf, 440v, run cap 50 uf, 440 volt, charged to 120 volts and then later 350 volts.

I tried another coil from a 25 year old car, still no luck. I had to use my diode string the same direction on that as well, pointing towards the coil.

The diagram to the left, I have not given a try because to me it seems like that will give the discharging capacitor a straight path to the MDS, and then fry it.

What I am doing wrong, or how can I make it work?

Thank you very much.

Comment

• Nice thread. Is MSD system a must have or you can hack existing signal also in order to improve efficiency using capacitors and diodes?

Via MSD system it looks as a very promising way.

I have 98' LPG Honda Civic to hack and since it has LPG, i can play with the settings to put also gas/air ratio in play.

Comment

• I am looking for a high voltage ignition coil with a positive HV. Can it be bought, or do I have to make one?
                          Thank you very much.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4025[/ATTACH]
                            I have tried and tried, but not been able to get the booster cap discharge.
                            The diagram on the right will not discharge the capacitor. I have tried with photoflash caps 270 uf, 330 v charged to 170 volts. Run caps 5 uf, 440v, run cap 50 uf, 440 volt, charged to 120 volts and then later 350 volts.

I tried another coil from a 25 year old car, still no luck. I had to use my diode string the same direction on that as well, pointing towards the coil.

The diagram to the left, I have not given a try because to me it seems like that will give the discharging capacitor a straight path to the MDS, and then fry it.

What I am doing wrong, or how can I make it work?

Thank you very much.
                            I don't know if the one on the left will hurt your MSD. That is going straight to the cap of the MSD. Maybe if you put a diode from the MSD wire that goes to the positive of the primary of the ignition coil it will protect it? I don't want to be responsible for your blowing the MSD - I know I've exploded a good hand full of electronics myself!

Conceptually, the voltage of your booster cap would probably be lower than the MSD cap so won't go in that direction but again, I really don't know. I've done the booster cap method with an ignition coil with HV positive and not negative.

The one on the right, even if you have the 400 volt cap, with a 120vac line what is the highest it charges to - 160 volts peak?
                            Aaron Murakami

Comment

• Originally posted by Beebrox View Post
                              Nice thread. Is MSD system a must have or you can hack existing signal also in order to improve efficiency using capacitors and diodes?

Via MSD system it looks as a very promising way.

I have 98' LPG Honda Civic to hack and since it has LPG, i can play with the settings to put also gas/air ratio in play.
                              The MSD or a regular CDI is just handy because it is an off the shelf cap charger.

On a stock car, you can't modify the stock ignition to get this effect.

The easiest way is to have an off the shelf MSD - is your Civic's ignition a wasted spark ignition?
                              Aaron Murakami

Comment

I am looking for a high voltage ignition coil with a positive HV. Can it be bought, or do I have to make one?
                                Thank you very much.
                                My Mallory promaster coil is HV +

It looks like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000BWE2QK

Mallory has a few with that body but to be sure, I'd contact the company and ask if the HV output is positive or negative. Actually, I'd ask any ignition coil company that I'd consider buying a coil from. I don't know if that is on the spec sheets.

That is $100 coil but you can find much less expensive ones that have HV+ - they're not rare.

Actually, when I started to experiment with all the plasma stuff, the first half a dozen coils I got my hands on all happened to be HV + - I didn't even use a HV negative until I put the plasma on my gas generator.
                                Aaron Murakami

Comment

Working...
                                X